Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Chinese Lumbar Disc Treatment

Mr. OkakopaMMr. Okakopa Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Alternative Treatments
My wife just watched a CCTV program on a popular disc treatment in China. No doubt there was something lost in translation but - a computer guided probe in inserted in the back and the disc is "trimmed" via "microwave" application. Before she flies off to Beijing, has anyone heard of a similar procedure?

• I believe you are referring to percutaneous discectomy. This is routinely performed in the laser spine clinics that are scattered around the US. Some other spine surgeons also do the procedure but not necessarily using lasers.
  • (love the name!) Is your wife from that area? Just curious as to why she would go to Beijing versus maybe Thailand, Japan, Korea, Philippines or US?

Has she been evaluated by a doctor versed in spine issues yet? Has she been given a specific diagnosis yet? I think it is cool that you have dropped by Spine Health to get more information for her. That is a very nice thing to do.

This is a link to a great explanation of the IDET procedure that ol Teton referred to. If your wife gets a chance to look through it, if it is indeed what she saw on CCTV, then it should help give her a better understanding of the procedure.

Welcome to Spine Health

• "C" - Thanks for the comeback...Yeah she's from China originally, and watches Chinese television streamed on Kylin TV. The program was shot in her hometown (Changsha) so she was particularly interested. She's done the routine stuff so far: MRI, orthopedic eval, 30 chiropractor sessions, acupuncture, therapeutic massage, cupping (don't ask), oral steroid, herbal medicine, etc. She has a bulging disc at L4/L5 impinging on the right nerve. We're just ticking off all the myriad of options. We're trying to avoid surgery and this procedure seems minimally invasive. We'll definitely check out the link. Thanks again.

Too bad about the Seahawks. They were my new favorite team until the mauling by the Bears today.
  • Oh well there's always next season ... seems like I have to say that EVERY season.

It's fantastic that your wife has been trying as many conservative treatments as possible. No worries about the explanation on cupping, one of my docs used to do it and explained it to me. I found some good relief from acupuncture, but it was short lived and so hard to get in to see the doc as much as I needed to build up more continuous relief. I also tried some of the Chinese herbal medications but had to quit taking them when I started another drug which conflicted with the meds.

I hope that she is able to find something out soon and get some much needed relief!