Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I wanted to post there but ---

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,065
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:49 AM in Spine-Health Announcements
With new members have you ever asked that question?

With regular members, you asked that question but IF you did WHAT ---

And with many seasoned members, you asked the question, but just didnt want to do it.....

Something is wrong with this picture! And I need to take responsibility for part of this. When I first became a Spine-Health moderator back in 2006/7, my major emphasis was to take on a role of a teacher. I wanted to show people how to use the forums, how to post their avatars, how to include a photo and how to get the most out of the various medical sections of the site.

Down the line, as the site grew, problems cropped up which we really didnt see before. That role of being a teacher started to be becoming a Policeman. First it was Trolls, then CHAT room bandits, Spammers, Mud-Slingers, Solicitors, Members being doctors, etc We tried to enforce rules to reduce some of those problems. By doing this we did cut back on many problem areas, but I am afraid we also made it more difficult for some members to post.

If I post this, would the monitor team edit it remove some of my words, send me a PM because I did something to violate forum rules

That thought process my team will turn around. Sure, we will still clamp down on those major forum violators, but in terms of members asking questions, providing insight about a problem , discussing options, I want to see more of this coming from members and freely coming from members.

This is not a carte-blanch to hang a sign saying 'The doctor is in, what do you need to know?'

Members here are responsible people, you came here for a reason, what we need to do is to make sure you continue to stay here for those same reasons and grow.

Happy posting!
Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
advertisement

Comments

• Ron,

True points, "been there, done that" like others. I hope this extends to emotional support to members as well? Sometimes just talking to a member to show support, smiling with them, or hugging them goes a long way... Just my thoughts - back to my corner.

Brenda

Ps... I read this post like 5 times before I posted. :(
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,065
    is one area that we all can exceed in. I know over the years I have received a lot of that and I only hope I have given it as well.

Talking to different people, they first register for Spine-Health because they have heard about it from different people or find it doing a web search.

Members come here looking for information. Sometimes more information then they are getting from their doctors. Once they are here, they realize how quickly that there are so many others out there that have similar problems. That alone, sort of makes this a safe home to be at.

So many people just want another person to reach out to. And that, at times, can be better medicine that when the medical field can provide.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Very true and good points!

It does appear the mud-slinging, and i'm right-your wrong, atmosphere has ceased.
    And the emotional support is increasing.

Which imo is definitely the direction Spine Health wants to go, and part of the inital reason for starting this forum.

I think the Mods are pointing Spine Health back in the right direction.
  • Ron,

"Members come here looking for information. Sometimes more information then they are getting from their doctors. Once they are here, they realize how quickly that there are so many others out there that have similar problems. That alone, sort of makes this a safe home to be at.

So many people just want another person to reach out to. And that, at times, can be better medicine that when the medical field can provide."

How many of us got a full list of instructions after surgery? I know I never have! Yes, I think that some of the general information we share gives us more insight to the "do's and don't" after surgery. We also give insight of healing symptoms from others that we weren't told about from our doctors - thus alleviating many unnecessary fears.

I am big on my *HUGZ* and smiles because typed words aren't interpreted the same by all, but:

HUGZ
    Gentle supportive *HUGZ* for ya
    :)

Can at times put a huge smile of support and relief on that members face - yes we are here, and yes we understand...

Brenda
  • Jim,

Excellent post. I hope it holds true and continues.

Brenda
advertisement