Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2nd microdisectomy L5 S1 Jan. 6th, 2011

traumeelttraumeel Posts: 8
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
hi there,
just found this informative forum 10days after my 2nd disectomy, I´m feeling much better than before the surgery, I just hope their won´t be a round 3 anytime soon.
On Friday I have my 2week checkup with my neurosurgeon, tomorrow I´ll do water exercises and PT.
All the best to my fellow Spineys!

• Hi there.

Glad to hear 2nd surgery went well.
    Sorry you had to have it.

I had 2 microD's on the same level (Aug09 and Feb10) and nearly a year later, I'm doing fairly well. I still believe I'm progressing too.

I hope your 2 week follow up goes well.
  • The first post-op 3 weeks are critical. No Bending lifting, twisting, sneezing, coughing, retching/gagging, shoving, nudging, dragging, torque-ing, ... well, you get the idea.

My surgeon too loves for his patients to go into aquatic therapy post-op as well. Good stuff.

Best wishes and be good!
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • thanks for your well wishes!
    btw, today I had aquatic therapy, fango and PT. My physiotherapist showed me some new core muscle exercises which I have already forgotten (maybe I´ll look for them on youtube later)
    next aqauatic therapy, fango and PT are scheduled for Friday (before my doctors appointment)
    we´ll discuss when to go back to work (basically office work)
  • I'm so glad your operation was successful. But I was surprised at what you said about forgetting how to do the exercises, since my PTs gave me a printout with illustrations along with a brief rundown of what motions each exercise requires. I hope your PT can give you one. Best wishes! Essmoe
  • hi there,
    just checking in: I´m now 3.5 weeks after disectomy #2.
    Generally I´m fine, but I cannot sit for more than 30 minutes, then I need to walk through the house or lie down for 30 mins. I´m still doing aquatic therapy, pt and fango 2-3 times a week.
    I have to go back to work next Monday which is 4.5 weeks post OP, hope that´s not too early...
    any input?
  • Hey there, you are still not that far out from surgery and it seems you are doing well. The sitting thing I didn't even try until about 6weeks post op.

Do you have to go back? My surgeon wanted me out for 6 weeks. I, of course, asked him to send me back and he agreed ONLY because I could work from home. So I was out for 4-weeks, then he allowed me to work 1/2-days from home for 2 weeks, then I could work full time as long as I kept my hours under control so I did 3 days in the office and 2 days remote. When I was in the office, I didn't sit for more than 30 mins b/c it hurt. I had them set my desk to be standing.

Good luck.
  • Hi there,
    I havent been here for a few weeks, but I´d like to inform you that sitting (especially in the car) is still very painful. I´ll have a doctor´s appointment next week. At my last visit two weeks ago he gave me three shots which didn´t help at all. The next step will probably be a myelography to see what´s going on, as the last MRI didn´t show a pinched nerve.
    I fear something happens when I sit down as I´m okay when lying flat.
  • Not too long ago I was able to get an MRI sitting and laying flat. Maybe that would show something
  • it has been over a year now and I´m feeling quite alright,
    I´m still extra cautious with bending over (I hardly reach my lower legs) but I can sit for 2 hours without any pain.
    I reckon core muscle workouts have helped a lot. If I´m lazy for a couple of days I get a slight back pain.