Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Little embarassing but I must ask!

MLT01MMLT01 Posts: 172
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello Everyone,

I hate to ask this question but have to ask I need some imput! For the past few weeks I been getting allot of pressure in the rectum area!! It gets bad when I'm on my feet to long then it gets unbearable actually as soon as I get moving and sitting is almost impossible. No I'm not constipated!!

My Pt sounded very concern thinking it was my SI joint because she does feel it's unstable. My surgeons PA said that it's not that it seems to be muscle. He said it's not common and rare but it does happen to some who had L4L5 Fusions..

I'm back on my meds because the pain in my kegs and the pressure get very bad now! I was on the scale from 0-10 a 4 but lately at times I'm like a 8 or 9!!

spondylolisthesis at L4-5; stenosis,
Lumbar surgeries 1999 L4-L5
Lumbar staph infection 1999-2000"
Meningitis x5 in 1999-2001
Brain shunt 2000"
Brain shunt removed 20001"
ALIF/PLIF fusion 8/5/09
Failed fusion and Failed Hardware
PLIF Fusion scheduled for 10/29/10

• Your problem sounds very similiar to what I have been experiencing for a few months. I had an L4/5 fusion done 7/08. I get the pressure you describe, pain in my left leg and weakness in both legs that gets even worse when I need to go to the bathroom.

My NS doesn't see anything wrong on an MRI I had done last March. I had my hardware removed last August. A new MRI wasn't ordered.

Right now I'm gathering up my records to get a 2nd opinion. Please keep me posted on your progress in finding an answer and I will do the same for you if you wish.

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I haven't had any lumbar surgery but know exactly the pain you describe. I've dealt with it for two years now. It feels like someone is stabbing you in the butt! Especially when I first start to stand up...is that how you do? If you can find an explanation please let me know. All my lumbar mri shows is several tarlov cysts in sacral spinal canal that "they" say don't cause pain. My pain started when they injected the dye in my spine for a cervical myelogram.
    I know it's embarrassing. I often say my "back" is hurting when actually it's my butt. lol. My pain radiates into my upper thigh.
    I hope you get some answers. It's really a pain in the butt and that's putting it nicely.
    Good luck,
  • Hello everyone!

So I guess I'm not the only one!! I wish we could all figure out what is going on!! Sometimes I feel like this pain is worse than before the fusion..It's defiantly different than any type of pain I had before.

I will keep you all posted if I get any answers and please let me know how all of you make out!!

spondylolisthesis at L4-5; stenosis,
    Lumbar surgeries 1999 L4-L5
    Lumbar staph infection 1999-2000"
    Meningitis x5 in 1999-2001
    Brain shunt 2000"
    Brain shunt removed 20001"
    ALIF/PLIF fusion 8/5/09
    Failed fusion and Failed Hardware
    PLIF Fusion scheduled for 10/29/10
  • I think mine was the same thing you're describing, and it comes and goes and like Jellyhall, can improve after elimination of waste.

My theory is that the disc herniation has caused some inflammation at more than 2 levels (L5 direct nerve root compression, S1 from the descending root compression) and some inflammation at lower sacral levels (that innervate rectum) due to HNP (the stuff that herniates) migrating down in the spinal canal in the epidural space. It is very inflammatory.

This improved with oral steroids, and with epidural steroid injections.

This symptom prompted me to ask my PCP to order a CT scan of abd and pelvis with contrast to check to be sure I didn't have a pelvic tumor or something. Fortunately, this was negative. However, if you are concerned you might ask your PCP to investigate further. Even sigmoidoscopy, anuscopy, or colonoscopy would not be unreasonable (just extra painful under the circumstances).

The constipation caused by the NSAIDS and the hydrocodone, of course just make the constipation and resulting discomfort worse.

Good luck.
  • I have been getting the same feeling of pain, which does seem to improve somewhat if I go to the bathroom. I have been logging down when I get it to see if there is a pattern, and it is sometimes while I am in bed (even in the middle of the night), and sometimes while I am out walking. It is a very strong pain, that has had me sweating and feeling faint.

I have spoken to my doctor who didn't know what it was but felt that we would wait and see if it gets more regular or worse! I certainly hope not!

I hadn't even considered that it might be related to my surgery.
    I have wondered if it could be anything like cauda equina, but the beginnings of it. It does seem to be the muscles around that area.

Do please let me know if you find out what is causing it.

• I know there are a lot of doctors out there that claim TC's do not cause pain or any other type of problems. I have to disagree, I have had no other back problems until I had a TC that became active. I did have some of the same rectal pain that you all are discussing along with various other types of pain. I did have surgery but it was not sucessful so I am doomed to a life of pain. I would suggest you get a second opinion if you think the cyst may be causing your problems. First I'd do some research to find a doctor that does believe that TC's can cause complications. Hope this helps.
  • not constipated but feel like it ,or like pressure on the inside or front of back bone(L5 area)down.
    and improve after elimination of waste.
    yes comes on pretty fast some times.
    some times 3 or 4 times a day some times once.
    and yes some times if i wait to long to ( eliminate waste. i have to use that one on the doc next time)it feels like by back is braking.
    doc not to concerned but did say if it gets wear i can not go or not stop going call him right away #:S