Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

1 week post op AXIALIF 2L

bulldog60bbulldog60 Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello I am new to this forum and want to get opinions from others that have had the AxiaLif 2L procedure and talk about my experience thus far. I had hadhad back pain for over 17 Years.Injured while in the Army in Somilia. Went threw PT, muscle relaxers, ciro, pain management. Nothing seemed to work. Sold my business in Oct of 2010 and decided to take the finial step of surgery since i had the time to devote to it. Had meet with 4 different doctors to discuss possible options and setteled on the AxiaLif procedure for my S1/L5 DDD as the answer. I went into the hospital on the 12th at 6 AM for the 8 AM procedure. Woke up at 3PM and stayeyed the night without a PCA. Pain started increasing at 9 PM so i asked for Morphine in one hr asked for something different since pain was increasing was givin the choice of Dilodid injection or Narco pill. Tried Dilodid and it seems to work. woke up in 1 1/2 Hr with extreem heel pain, like it was on fire, has anyone else had this?

• bulldog60

I had alif on nov 1 st 2010 and i woke up the same way the 1 st night after surgery and it has lessened but never trully went away i wish ya luck
  • The heal pain still occurs now im 2 weeks post op and am starting to have full leg pain. I did not have that before i went in. I stayed in the hospital for 3 nights and came home with Narco and Robaxin, after about 6 hours i started having full muscle spasms fron my upper theigh threw my buttock and into my lower back. the pain was severe. They increased in intensity and duration up to 1 min long and every 10 min, so i asked for Soma and started taking those every 2 hours just trying to get on top of th pain and spasms. Has anyone else had this and what did you do? I'm a 38 yr old male and have 2 small children and i want to be active in their lives please help god bless.
  • AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
    edited 04/11/2013 - 5:15 AM
    hey there.

I had a single level AxiaLIF.

There are a couple of other guys who had 2 levels like you. Both are long since gone from here. They both complained of muscle spasms. One had very bad ones but months after the operation. He had some issues. The other seemed to be doing fine.

I and a number of others who had 1 level AxaiLIf all had muscle spasms. This started immediately after surgery. Mine were only in my back and only when I went to lay down. As soon as I would lay down my back would spasm and it hurt. After 5-10 minutes it would calm down. Rolling over in bed hurt and was difficult. That lasted a couple of months and slowly went away. For the muscle spasms immediately post-op I was given Valium. Percoset for pain. That caused me problems and I was changed over to Skelaxin and Hydrocodone. That worked good enough and light side effects. The spasms toned down and went away after a month or so. They were not what you describe.

I'm fine compared to my pre-op pain. Still have some pain from sitting. A deep ache. Also get some leg pain that is not like what I had before surgery. I do not loose stability or strength with it. It just annoys me. I take no pain meds for the leg pain but do take a low dose hydrocodone sometimes for the back ache.

Given what you are describing. I strongly urge you to get with your surgeon and possibly your primary doc.
  • Thanks for the help ZO6. i actually saw my surgeon yesterday and he thought that it normal to have spasms however the extreme nerve/leg pain concerned him. He prescribed me Neurontin. Does anyone have any information on this drug? I'm taking 300mg 3 times a day. I'm also on Narco 10MG and Soma 350mg every 3 hours. I had a reallly good day yesterday with very little pain. However when i woke up this morning the leg pain was back with spasms. I just need answers!!!
  • Welcome to the board. I am sorry to hear about the issues thus far. I also had the 2 level AxiaLif, and am having issues. I would be happy to discuss this with you in detail if you would like.

I PMed you my email.