Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Here we go again. 6 weeks post op 2 level lumbar fusion

iowarobiniiowarobin Posts: 1,268
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Ok. I have about had enough problems to last a lifetime! I had my 2 level fusion 6 weeks ago and things are going so well. I have posted about how happy I am that things are so much better and looking forward to getting my life back. AND then BAMO...On Sun morning, Hubby and I are sitting at the breakfast bar, enjoying the morning. I was sewing up the holes in the dog toys from a naughty little King Charles Cavalier Spainel that loves to remove the sqeakers. And then it happens.
I started going a little dizzy and feeling like I might black out, and then my heart started feeling a little racing. Tried 7 times to get blood pressure and heart rate on our digital cuff. Kept getting an error message.
Told hubby and he said lets go get it checked out, (Hospital is only 2 blocks away). Got there and they hooked me up to all the monitors and such and my heart rate was going anywhere from 185-200 beats per minute. So took blood for signs of heart attack, and ran a EKG.
Kept up for 45 minutes and they had to put a second IV in my arm on the other side of elbow. Told me they were gonna give me a shot to slow heart down. If it didnt work, they would do it again. IF that failed, they shocked me.
Well the first shot worked, wierdest feeling I have ever had. Got my heart slowed down to 101. Then told me they were transferring me to Des Moines to the Hospital that had the Cardiologists. So all this started at 9:45 am. I was put in the ambulance and sped off to DM and got there at 1:15 where I was admitted to Cardiac ward.
They kept giving me the medication, cause on the way there I spiked again to 150 breifly. Dr said they were gonna run blood enzime tests to check for heart attack and also do a thyroid test and Echocardiogram.
Slept well, had tests today. No heart attack. Mild thyroid problem, but I have SVT. Hard to explain, but it is where heart has extra signal or something and causes tachycardia. I have to see if it keeps happening, and then go on meds, and if that dont work, another surgery. Seems I have two vessels side by side that you are only suppose to have one in the arial ?? part of the heart.. Geez...
Cant I get at least done with this fusion before I have another darn thing to deal with? I got home late tonight and have to see what happens, and if it happens take a pill and see. If that dont work, go to ER for shot and then the crap that goes along with it.
I am so discouraged. Not only the heart thing, but another 10,000.00 ded to meet and a expensive 90 mile ride one way to the hospital and all the tests and stuff. This is the 3rd year that I have this huge deductible. What is the normal person suppose to do? I was hoping that the fusion was healing so well, that maybe 2011 would be the year for Robin...Not! Sorry for the pity party. I am glad to be alive with no heart attack, or surgery right now, but I think I should be in the book of records for the most deformed problematic body ever...Is it ever gonna end..Thanks for letting me vent. And any of my good friends that win the lottery, please remember that pathetic gal that just cant catch a break! >:D<

• I'm so glad your ok! That must have been pretty scary for you and your husband!
    I had my fusion 7 weeks ago and I felt great up to a week ago. I carried home heavy groceries and I have been in pain since! I too feel discouraged. I have been on a few job interviews ready to start my life but now I can't get out of bed!

Robin, I still think 2011 will be a good year for both us. Just think, what if your heart reacted while you were in surgery? I'm just trying to think of the positives things or I will just cry all day! 8}

• I was thinking about you yesterday on our "surgery twin" 6 week anniversary and thinking I hadn't seen a post from you. I am sorry to hear about this latest health issue and I will send up prayers for you - 2011 is still young and it can still be your year! Like Lisa said - good that they found it now and can correct it instead of it happening at a catastrophic time! I sure hope they were careful about your fusion - don't want that getting knocked around!
    GIANT HUGS from me to you!!
  • Sorry to hear you had that happen but so glad you're okay. I hope you don't have any more issues with your heart racing again. You've been through so much physically and hope you can get on with your healing from your spine surgery. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hi Robin,

First off, I'm glad to hear you're okay and didn't have a heart attack, etc. As for being discouraged over having to meet another insurance deductible so soon, I can empathize with that! Our deductible is $4,000--not as large as yours, and yet like you I was hoping that 2011 would be a new year, physically, for me and that we wouldn't have to pay out that deductible this year. Then I landed back in the hospital a couple of weeks ago with what was initially thought to be a partial/complete bowel obstruction (had bowel resection surgery Dec 27 and was post-op from that). Pain was so bad I was vomiting. Four days in the hospital and another deductible to pay, so I do understand your frustration with your body which seems to be betraying you at every turn. Keep courage and try to look at the positive side of things. It's better to owe another deductible than to have your husband paying for funeral expenses for you, which would be a whole lot more than 10k! :)

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • I know I should be happy with my fusion going well so far, and I am certainly glad it didnt decide to do its rapid thing during surgery. I am just now a little concerned about the future, and being alone when this happens. But I cant live my life worrying about the what ifs all the time either. It was just such a scarey experience that I really cant explain. My pulse has been up to the 95-100 range today. So I am being causious. It made my chest so sore that any time it starts beating a little fast, I feel it. But I know what to do now, and know what it is.
    I go to Dr on Thurs for my six week check up on my fusion. Have the xrays and all. Looking forward to positive news from that. Thanks to all my friends here for the support. Usually I am a rock, it just has added up lately. Have a great night. Love, Robin >:D< >:D<
  • Glad to hear you're feeling better and hope you hear good news tomorrow at your 6 week appt.

My 6 week is tomorrow as well. I guess we're on the same schedule, had my 2 level TLIF on Dec 13th!
  • Sorry i missed this post.
    Sure hoping that the doctor's got it figured out and you have no more problems.

I cant even imagine having that kind of deductable to pay.
    Even tho my surgery was covered by work comp. my daughter had numerous eye surgeries for a injury, and my BC/BS, thru the union is $100 dollars deductable, and they pay anywhere between 90% to 100%, of all the bills.

Anyway best of luck to you, and i pray you have no more problems.