Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello and a little about me.

denali_iceddenali_ice Posts: 28
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in New Member Introductions
I have been an unregistered lurker for quite some time now, but figured it was time to establish my own identity here as I figure I will be here for some time yet to come.

I am a single mom who was injured last summer. It took some time to piece everything together, but it seems that it was more likely than not - a biking accident that did me in. I had a very minor (so I thought) bicycling accident on a Sunday morning with what I thought was nothing more than a couple bruises and some road rash. The next day - Monday evening, I was hit HARD by the worst migraine I've ever had - it sent me to the ER within a couple of hours and I've always waited days before going to the ER for a migraine. The ER staff checked the out for signs of stroke and questioned me to make sure that I had not hit my head the day before, treated me for the migraine, and off I went. A couple days later, the back pain started....and then built up. Nearly 7 months later, here I am.

Early thinking was that I may have simply twisted wrong or injured myself while lifting one of my kids but the surgeon and his staff agree with me with the sequence of events with the biking accident. Not that any of it matters when it boils down to it.

I was fortunate enough to have been sent to a D.O. early in this injury who recognized the signs of herniation. He not only refused to touch me out of concern of injuring me further, but he got the MRI ordered before the typical 6 week "waiting period."

The MRI showed central disc bulge at L3/L4 and central disc herniation at L4/L5 with spinal stenosis as a result. I was sent to a pain clinic where we battled it out a bit over under-medicating me in light of the fact that the (3) ESI's did NOT do what they were intended to do. Once we got that cleared up, and got the lines of communication open again - we are more back on track. I have also tried PT, which sends even more symptoms into my foot.

I met with a surgeon just before the new year and the recommendation is for the discectomy and laminectomy. The biggest hope, of course, is to relieve the nerve compression. I am looking to schedule this in May. It would give me time to arrange for some help for a few weeks, and I would love for there to not be any snow on the ground. He made it very clear that recovery would not be an easy "walk in the park" so I am here, and other places learning as much as I can.

• Welcome to Spine-health. I'm certain you will fit right in and learn a lot here. The people here can be very supportive, but as you have been lurking around I'm sure you are already aware of that and is part of why you joined-lol.
    Someone is almost always online here, as a matter of fact I can't remember ever logging into an empty room.. and that can be a comfort when I'm feeling alone in my pain. People are more alike than we are different I think.

I hope your surgery is a great success denali_ice!
  • Welcome to Spine-Health. Robin said it all as far as your having been a lurker, therefore know what a valuable source of information and support this site can be.

I also had stenosis at L4/5 and it is truly painful. I also had a bulging disc, but the ESI helped that. But I ended up with surgery for decompression and fusion due to stenosis and severe facet problems and your doc is right - the recovery is no walk in the park.

I'm very happy that your doc was up front with you. As you may have read on here, some surgeons aren't quite up front about how difficult recovery can be, I assume because if they don't mention it, you'll do better if you're not told. I don't know, but my surgeon's PA was up front with me as well and I expected a long haul - and got one.

I'm additionally happy that they finally found the problem and you have a course of action to get it fixed.

We'll be here for you throughout you journey. Be sure to check out the post-op must-haves sticky at the top of the surgery section - it's a daunting list and you won't need everything, but there are some things you'll find you can't live without while recovering at home.

Take care and let me know if I can help you in any way.

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. so glad you decided to drop by! be sure and check out the "Back and Neck surgery" forum for more input on your planned surgery in May.. you have come to a great place to learn more about the procedure and pass the time away during your recovery by visiting SH. it can be a great friend during a long recovery!! stop by anytime. good luck to you! Jenny :)
  • too bad we had to meet you in such a way; however, as far as back pain goes this is a good place to be because we all "get it". i hope things go well with your surgery.

hope to see you, and your bad back, about the boards :)
  • Hello everyone...I am getting across this forum and i found this forum really informative.
  • Thank you all for such a warm welcome - it is much appreciated!