Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

B52BB52 Posts: 247
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Aloha y'all! Hey, I'm scheduled to go to St. Louis and have yet another CT/MRI done plus this time a myelogram. I have read a little on what this is. Is it painful? Will I be able to drive home afterward? Stuff I read indicated that nausea is commonly associated with this. I can deal with that I guess, but also it said that rarely one may experience 'spinal headaches' from cerebrospinal fluid leaks..that sounds unpleasant. Anyone care to share your myelogram story?

Thanks in adv.

• I had a meylogram done a few months back. I was very worried about the procedure. I asked for valium. I dont know if you have had steriod injections, but the melyogram was much easier and less uncomfortable than the injections. You will need someone to drive you home and you will have to lay flat for a few hours once you get home. I didn't have a spinal headache, thankfully. I had one when i Had an epidural during childbirth and they are NOT fun. I didn't have any nausea either. Best of luck with yours!!

• http://www.spine-health.com/forum/lower-back-pain/myelogram

Also try using search. It's been discussed many times. Should get you several inputs.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Both that I've had, one lumbar and one cervical, were at different facilities. Both required a driver to take you home as spinal headaches are common as well as sometimes headaches from the contrast they inject. I asked for versed with the lumbar one and they were able to do so via IV. They will also offer pain meds in the recovery area where they keep you 1-3 hours (depending on facility guidelines and how you do). I had to have my driver sign a form at the second one that he'd return (hubby). Both times they would not release me until he pulled up the car and I got in. I had a dull headache for 2-3 days with the cervical myelogram, more like 1-2 days with the lumbar.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Thanks for the get back y'all! Traci & Az, I was kinda thinking of driving myself home (about 3 hours) or to my sister's (1hr 20min). I think I may need a different plan after reading you guys' posts. I'm a little concerned about the 'spinal headache' thing. I occasionally have migraine headaches and they are sometimes so bad I'll wind up in the E.R. with an I.V. cocktail of painkillers in my arm. I hope this doesn't bring one of those episodes on. Meh, whatevvah! Got to get it done, so ....

Thanks again.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    Ive had 2 myelograms, one with the spinal headache and one without. It has been a 10 years since I have had one but on both I was required to stay in the hospital over night and lay flat on my back. Procedures more then likely have changed now. The one I had with the headache was pretty bad. I dont mean to scare you and they say it rarely happens. I had to wear sunglasses for a week following the procedure due to my eyes being extremely sensitive to light. I was required to have a driver after both procedures. Let us know how it goes
  • I had one in November. I asked for pain meds and they said no, but I could take my own (and I did -so glad that I had brought them with me). It wasn't that bad though definately not as bad an an ESI. I had to stay at the hospital in a bed for 3-4 hours then when I got home I was instructed to stay in bed for the remainder of the day.

• Certainly looks like I may not plan on driving three hours back to my home in Arkansas that afternoon then. I've said it before and I'll say it again; this spiney stuff ain't for sissies!

Thanks y'all

• I had a lumbar myelogram, no sedation. I didn't drive because they wanted me to lie flat as much as possible. I did get a spinal headache that had to get fixed with a blood patch. As far as the procedure - one needle felt, not too bad, weird pressure sensation when put in certain positions to get the dye to flow where needed, but the headache was the bummer.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I should have added that even as the passenger they wanted me to lay the car seat flat back for my 20 minute ride home. So driving is just not an option. You want to let the area that was punctured "rest" and sitting up increases spinal fluid pressure.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • I posted somewhere else on this site. But I'm posting here too. I've had leg numbness and back pain that comes and goes. It's been nearly a month now. My doc says not to worry--that this happens sometimes and it will go away. I've met one person for whom it didn't go away, most have had no issues. The test went smoothly, I had hard pain for 3 days, and then all the back pain went away. Then this started up. I followed all the aftercare orders to a T. I'm looking for any feedback or stories about this