Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

6 week post-op lumbar fusion - all good

preeseppreese Posts: 160
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Saw the surgeon today for the first time since my surgery since I saw his PA at my 2 week appt. Had X-rays again and the hardware looks good and hasn't moved at all since the CT scan right after the surgery and the x-rays at the 2 week appt. (I had worried that vacuuming had caused something to move - so that was great to hear) He is pleased with my progress and said he is confident that he freed up all the nerves that were being pinched and made plenty of room for all the nerve roots and that time will heal those nerves up and said not to worry one bit about the numbness and tingling in my legs and feet because it is the result of inflammation.

He agreed with the Physical Therapists plan to keep me on water therapy for now because it is much less painful for me
and so I can do more walking and stretching and for longer periods of time.

I asked him if you could see any new bone growing and he said he won't expect to see that until at least 4 months.

So I see him again in 6 weeks and he said that he would expect to see me feeling markedly better by then.

The only disappointment was that I asked him if there was something less than the 7.5/325 Vicodin that I am currently using as needed for pain - but more than the 100 mg Tramadol I was taking pre surgery and he said the only thing they have is 5/500 Vicodin which he ordered for me. I would really like to be off the narcotics by now. Hopefully soon.

• Patti,
    That is great news. I am glad everything is going well for you. I see my Dr tomm so hopefully I will be the same. You have been through a really rough surgery, so I know you want off the meds, and you will in time. Just keep on keeping on...Glad everything is working out! Love ya, Robin
  • That great to hear.
    Hopefully the day will come when you can get of the meds completely.

I never did the water therapy, but i've talked to people who have and they said it was a lot better and easier for them then doing the regular therapy.

Keep up the good work and good luck with your next appt. And go slow with the vacumn, so you dont twist at the hips and have a set-back.