Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Percutaneous discectomy

edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
As I lie in hospital hooked up to a morphine drip, it is looking increasingly likely that surgery will be required.

Had anyone elected to have a Percutaneous discectomy performed?

Please advise.

• Tom,

I had Percutaneous discectomy done 1 1/2 year ago and it failed miserably. It was a huge mistake.
    Later i had MicroEndoscopic Discectomy which was succuss.
    I don't mean do discourage you but i would not recomend you chosing Percutaneous discectomy.
    Microendscopic/MicroDiscectomy are not bad compared to Percutaneous approach. Recovery may be quick with Percutaneous, but this approach is blind.
    Surgeon has no clue if nerve is being decompressed.
    In my case, instead of decompresing the nerve, i lost the healthy nucleus. SO this caused additional damage.
    Good luck.
  • First, you have to differentiate few different percutaneous procedures.

Percutaneous discectomy is too wide term. Doctor should be precise when advising surgery to patient.

Please ask your doctor if he is using:
    1. Automated percutaneous discectomy
    2. Laser percutaneous discectomy
    3. Endoscopic percutaneous discectomy
  • I have not had that procedure. I did have a microdiscectomy (in fact 2). I think the key information you'll get here is that there are options and while your surgeon may suggest one type, it's important to ask what the other options are both surgically and not surgically.

• What is the difference between the automated and endoscopic? Looks like I may go this route the 24th of this month possibly. I know it would be done with the stryker tool does that answer which type keano16??