Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Gee thats swell ...

MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
Well I've been a neckie now for almost 5 years. But just joined the ranks of the backies a couple months ago after an MVA ... L4-L5 disc extrusion with migration of disk material. L3-L4 moderate size left foraminal disc protusion.

My question from all of you experienced back folks is ... in addition to numbness on the foot of my foot and up my Tib - Fib .... I have swelling on the top of my foot everywhere it is numb.

Has anyone have swelling associated with their pain and numbness in a foot or leg??

Please do tell?!

Thanks in advance,

Spine-health Moderator
Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• the foot of my foot.....hahahahah =))

OK. Not so nice....sorry. I have numbness, it feels (in my mind) like it is swollen, but it is not. (It does not look swollen or feel swollen if I touch it with my fingers. It just feels the way you perceive swollen tissue to feel in your mind)

I hope that makes sense--that will teach me to tease someone about what they wrote!!!

• I have numbness is my foot on the side and bottom. It always hurts and feels swollen, but it's not. It also always feels colder than my other foot even with socks on, but when I touch it with my hand it fells the same. Nerves play cruel tricks on your body, but if your foot is actually swollen you might want to get another opinion because as far as I know it shouldnt swell up unless you have another problem, RSD mabye. Good Luck
  • When I was first injured with a herniated disc at L5-S1 I had swelling on the top of my foot with numbness also but it was worse when I was taking Lyrica. I still have some swelling not so bad now. Not sure if you're taking any nerve meds that could cause swelling? Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    is associated with nerve problems. It seems that L4/L5 and L5/S1 are some of the more common lumbar discs to cause problems. Once one of those disc start to impinge on a nerve root, thats where some damage can occur.

Many times after successful lumbar surgery, numbness in the foot, toes, etc lasts for a long time. After one of my lumbar surgeries, it took almost a full year before I no longer had the numbness.

The only part I dont understand is the swelling. Not sure what could be causing that.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I have numbness if the heel of my foot to the outer toe (amongst other areas of my left side). I do not have swelling but often times it feels really cold/wet. If I have shoes on, it feels like there is something in my shoe (like pebbles, sticks, or straw that is pushing on my foot...but there's not).

Not sure I help...but numbness sucks!
  • I've had a bunch of lumbar surguries, all of them involving l3-s1 levels of my spine.

Im a few months post 3 level fusion and I still have the strange sensations. Once they start my advice is to get something done about it unless you want to live the rest of your life with it. Im in my 30s and I have this pain/sensations every day. Dr said it *might* go away but Im beginning to think its here to stay.

Rocks in my socks, toes on fire, fiberglass socks, electric shock. This is great fun! ( sarcasm)

• I have the numbness in the heel of my right foot and along the outside edge and 3 small toes also. That has been there since last July when the sciatica hit. In the last month I have started having pain on my left side as well, down my buttock and into my foot. This left foot is still quite painful, no numbness but it is swollen sometimes just above the three small toes, it even looks red. Not sure what the problem is. At first I blamed it on sciatica but its very different than my right foot was so now I'm not sure. I have an appointment with my GP on Feb. 7th so we'll see what she has to say about it then. In the meantime I'm just trying to stay off it as much as I can, seems to help keep the swelling down. Best of luck to you and I hope you find out what the problem is. Back pain and sciatica really sucks and to have neck issues also is unfortunate to say the least. Take care