Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

6 Week Check up

iowarobiniiowarobin Posts: 1,268
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Well I went to Mpls to my six week appt today. It is a 3 hour drive, so I just got home and am tired, but I had to share the news.
They did the Xrays and I am starting to fuse already. I couldnt believe it, as I was not expecting it at all. But they gave me copies of it. So finally after almost 5 years I have something positive happen.
I also told him that I had went down on my pain meds. Currently on 25 Fentanyl every 2 days. He was very surprised at this accomplishment. I was at 75 after surgery. He told me it was like decreasing my oxycodone by 240 pills. I didnt tell him that I was down on my BT Oxycodone to 6 a day from 10. So that made me encouraged as well.
I do have to continue to wear my brace for another 3 months minimum any time I am up. What a pain to put it on to go to the restroom. I will then be checked and it could be longer. They told me that for the first year after I am done with the anytime I am up part, I will have to put it on when I do anything that involves twisting or repetition. And said that it is a good idea for life...Well, I will go along with the 3-4 month part, as I dont want to do anything to screw it up now. But for life seems a little long. However, knowing that it can put stress on the levels above, I probably will rethink it in time.
I get to start water therapy. 2 times a week. But no land based for a while yet. They are being ultra cautious with me because of my history. So all in all, I feel like maybe 2011 will be the year Robin gets her life back, after all. Thanks to all my friends here, for your support through all of this. My heart problem is settling down. I am now on another med, and it has helped, but I still am having a few issues yet. But at least I am headed in the right direction. Thanks all, Hugs, Robin

• I am so happy for you that I actually cheered:) That is fantastic! I am loving the water therapy and bet you will too - it is so much easier to do it when it doesn't hurt:)
  • You will soon be there too! My PLIF took three months before it showed bone growth, so I really was surprised today. I am sure that yours will be there before you know it. I cant wait to hear the news of your next visit, as I am sure you will be as well. Just remember, no BLT, my Dr told me that this is the most important time in my fusion until it is solid. So be a good girl! ;)
  • Oh Dear Robin,

I am SO HAPPY to hear you report good news!! Its about time you caught a break. Keep taking care of yourself, I want to hear more "Good News Reports"!!!

Be Well,

• Robin,

It *is* sounding like 2011 will be a much better year for you finally! So glad to hear such wonderful news. Couldn't have happened to a nicer person! Congrats woman - and continue following your doctors orders to the Tee!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Very good news what a relief to hear I bet. Keep up the good work and best wishes with water therapy. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • That sure is good news.
    6 weeks is awful fast to be fusing, y'all must have some good water in Iowa.

Did you have your surgery at the Mayo clinic.
    Noticed you went to Minn.

I really dont think your gonna want to wear that brace for life, you ain't kidding thats a long time.
    Anyway congrats, and keep drinking that water over there. lol
  • Robin,
    This is good news! I am so pleased to hear your 6 wk. check up went so well! You have had more than your share and deserve this awesome report of good news! Hey, don't let your guard down, continue to behave with no BLT and wear that brace regardless so you continue to heal and improve daily/weekly! Great news! Take care!

• Thanks for sharing your progress. Wow, Great news about the start of a fusion. I'm like you, I think I will always be cautious to a degree. Congratulations!
  • Hi Robin :H >:D<

I am sooooooooo happpppyyyyyyy for you!!!!!! =D> >:D< :* Keep wearing that brace! It sucks but you don't want to do anything that could set you back. You're doing so great. Bone Growth Already????? :O :O Amazing! :jawdrop: :OO (8)

God is there helping you and I couldn't be happier. You have been through so much and truly deserved this! I think you found a great dr and he knew what he was doing. #:S =D> Be the good patient and follow what the dr and pt staff tell you.

I can't wait to hear that you have recovered so much that you can run and play with grandbabies in the yard! =D> <:P

• that is fantastic news! Well done!
    Hopefully 2011 will be your year. You have started as you mean to go on. :-)

• It nice and positive all the best
  • Yeah Robin,
    Can you send me a case or ten of the water-or what ever it is your drinking over there? Signs of fusion is always great news!

Wonderful News and you sound great! Very Positive.
    Keep up the positive frame of mind. Call forth all things good and wonderful!