Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Nerve pain in my buttock area after TLIF L4 lamectomy

LondongalLLondongal Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi just joined as it seems the best place for good advice, help and tlc.

My op was 14th dec, after the initial 2/3 weeks of pain and discomfort things are getting better. Trouble is when I start to relax sit/ lie I get terrible pain in my buttock and cramps in my calves. Feels like the sciatica pain pre op. Painkillers do nothing and i called my surgeons his PA advised ibuprofen which doesn't do that much either. He did say the nerves will take time to settle but nothing more enlightening! My next follow up isn't for another 6 weeks.
Beginning to feel anxious that it was worth going through surgery. Feeling sorry for myself and hope someone can offer help or relate to my issues.

I am 53 yr old female underwent TLIF laminectomy plus bone graft. L4 L5

• Welcome to Spine-Health. This is a good place for advice, help and tlc. The site has a lot of information and the members are very helpful, knowledgeable and supportive.

Your doctor really might be right that the nerves are waking up. But I'm surprised they haven't offered you some nerve medications such as gabapin or lyrica, or something like that (I'm not too up on nerve medications and that's never really been a big problem for me). But there are many here that take nerve pain meds and will hopefully come by and offer their suggestions. If your doctor would be willing to give you meds to help your nerve pain, you might do ok until they settle down. Many times nerve meds also help people take less pain meds as well.

I did have a TLIF, a decompression and fusion, and had some really severe nerve problems down both legs for about two weeks where I could barely walk and needed a walker and help from my hubby, but it was short lasting enough not to deal with my doc about it. I was only one week into recovery during this episode and was on percs among other things, so was a walking zombie as it was. But I do know that nerve pain can come back after a TLIF and hopefully yours will be short-lived and not a permanent and ongoing issue.

So that's my only suggestion, but wanted to welcome you and throw in my two cents worth.

Take care and be sure to check back often. There are a lot of members with nerve issues like yourself.

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. so glad you dropped in.. i am very close in age to you so i know of some of the problems that go along with aging and having pain.. i am sorry to hear you are having some problems after your surgery.. please be patient and follow your doctor's orders.. everyone heals differently, especially after surgery! good luck to you! i hope you find some relief soon! Jenny :)
  • Apprecite gearing from you, always nice to know how others are doing. I too thought he would offer some nerve pain meds but no luck. I might just go talk to my general MD and see if they can help. When was your op? And how are you doing now ?
  • Appreciate your input and yes I will keep reading the forums it's good to hear how others are doing. What type of op dod you have ? And how are you feeling.
  • i had surgery many years ago. i am no longer a surguical canidate so i have learned to live with the pain like lots of other spineys around here!! i had a double laminectomy on L4-L5. i have developed many other problems, some due to surgery like bone sprurs and post operative arthritis.. others,like DDD have occured with the years... i have been a pain patient for over 40 years!!but i have adjusted and live life day to day thanks to SH!! thank you for asking!! Jenny :)
  • Gabapentin is a great medication for the relief of nerve pain. I have l5-s1 tear and alot of nerve trouble, this medication intercepts all of the associated pain. Hopes this might help!
  • <:P feel like having a party THANK YOU members for suggesting this drug , got it last Monday and its made such a difference. Now I just struggle with lying in bed and try to turn. Unless I keep still i'm fine, certain turning movements give me a sharp pain which is excruciating. Have had to go back on the pain killers just for nighttime's, although maybe the Gabpetin might help this once I increase the dose. Doctor advised 1 tablet for first week then 2 then 3. How are you feeling Charityfaith? have you had surgery yet ?
  • <:P

Thanks Cathie got gabapin last Monday and its been brilliant, on 1 tablet once a day then from tomorrow its 2 and the week after 3. However I think 2 will be enough as its already helped a great deal. Why do doctors just pop you painkillers instead of really looking and listening to the patients concerns. If he had given me this after surgery I would have been so happy!!