Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACD&F of the c5-c7 recovery?

MelB81MMelB81 Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi everyone. To start off I am 29 yrs old and I have been a housekeeper in a hospital for 12 yrs. I had acd &f surgery on June 2, 2010 and I am still experiencing pain. I had to quit my job of 12 yrs. I went back to work at the end of October after 5 months of PT. When does the pain go away. I was told I would feel like a new person when said and done with. My numbness or my arm falling asleep before surgery went away. I never had any pain until after my surgery. I am just getting so tired of pain, and taking pain killers, now the doctor wants to put me in the pain clinic. I filed for social security because I dont know if I can work again. I cant do heavy lifting still, It hurts to sit at a computer long. So I dont know what to do. Help is this normal? going on nine months since my surgery? I feel so old and getting so depressed.

acdf of c5-c7

• Hi Melissa

I had ACDF C5/6 in Feb 2009, and like you the arm pain went away immediately. However it did take longer for the neck and it was about a year before i felt pain free

so give it time and it will get better

i still had trouble walking after but was another issue with the lumbar spine

• Reading between the lines I see how frustrated you are. You've had a big surgery. It is great that the numbness and arm pain is gone. How long has it been since you've seen your surgeon? Have you had post-op xrays or CT scan done to check the hardware and fusion process?

It was important for me to be involved in physical therapy. Has your doctor prescribe this? it is important to strengthen your upper arms and shoulders, since that is what carries the neck. If your doctor hasn't prescribed physical therapy, this may be something you can ask about.

Melissa, going to a pain clinic is not bad, especially if you get a good doctor who will help you control your pain. But I'm of the opinion that the surgeon needs to do everything he can for you before sending you off to pain management.

Sorry you are hurting this long out. There are many of us here who understand. I'm sure others will be along soon to post a response here.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • I think everybody on this amazing forum understands the frustration that goes along with healing. I wish I had a magic wand to wave over everybody's post here...Poof and perfectly back to 100%. If only huh! I hope you feel better Mel...I no that doesnt bring much comfort...just pamper yourself and do the right things to continue your healing journey. Sorry that there are so many of us that go thru rough patches both physically and emotionally.

• I hope that you have been back to doctor you did your surgery. Did they take another MRI to make sure you have healed and nothing new has occurred. I am still early on in my recovery, but hope that I am not in the same boat as you. It must be very difficult to still be experiencing such severe pain and additional symptoms. I can tell you, I still have issues if I do not sit properly at the computer. If I slouch, within 15 minutes I have the burning, tingling feeling going from one shoulder or shoulder blade to the other. Posture can be part of the problem. I am going to start PT next week (YEAH). One question I asked each location before I decided on one was "Will you help me sit properly at the computer and sit in my car so driving doesn't cause an issue?" If I drive more than 20 minutes I have the same terrible symptoms. Only a few places were willing to go out to my car with me. That made it easier to decide on a PT location. Hope that you went to the pain clinic so that they can help you manage your pain. When and if they can get that under control it will be easier for you to think and go the next step medically. Good luck and keep us posted.
    12/9/2010 ACDF C5-6 C6-7
    2/14/2011 trying to go back to work
    2/17/2011 starting PT
    wearing bone stimulator 4 hours a day
    DDD, arthritis, herniated disks, pinched nerves
    still no bone growth

• How ya doing Mel? I think you should go back to your Neuro myself. Just because he knows the history and because your hurting. Check in let us know how you are doing.