Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New here, post surgical...can't stand or walk on my leg for more than 5-10min

SweetSharon71SSweetSharon71 Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in New Member Introductions

My name is Sharon. I am 39 years old. I had discectomy/laminectomy on L5 right side and S1 left side. I have had pain since waking up unable to move in Sept. of 09. During the remainder of 09 up until my surgery on Oct. 5th 2010, I had PT, 10 total injections mixing nerve blocks, epidurals and transferaminals. I also had 11 visits to the Chiropractor(recommened by neurosurgeon). None of the injections helped more than a couple of days. Finally in Sept. I was tripping over my feet at work and almost landed in the deep fryer. Told my Dr that was it. I was done.
Two weeks after my surgery my right leg locked up and I could not even stand on it, the most horrible pain I had ever felt. Called the afterhours service, finally the next morning called the Dr. office and was cut short with its normal, its normal. So I dealt with it. It did pass in about 3days. Had PT for 4wks, pain in hips was unbearable so they kept me out of work and I did 4 more wks of PT. Still no better, had another MRI, results showed post surgical changes, a broad based protrusion at L5, and it showed the L5 nerve root was crowded otherwise not compromised. Dr. office called and told me there was nothing there to be causing my pain. I asked if they would order a mylogram CT because my sister works for a neurosergeon and she said sometimes a mylogram CT will pick up what an MRI will not, the Dr. said he would not order because MRI showed no reason too. Continued PT, they did a myofascial something to help align my hips. This made the hip pain disappear but 2 days later on Christmas day, that horrible pain I had felt 2 wks after surgery was back in my right leg every time I stand or walk for more than 5 minutes or so.
The Dr. ordered another nerve conduction study. I called to ask for the results today because they did not call me like they said they would. The nurse called me back and told me that there was a problem with the L5 nerve root but she could not tell me anything else. The doctor would discuss it and my next step with me on my next visit.
I am 4 months past surgery. I am confused. This L5 is the nerve area he did a laminectomy on and the MRI just said crowded. The neurologist that did the nerve study said he could tell me that there was no major damage but he would not know about smaller damage until he did some calculations. If my L5 had a laminectomy, how can it be crowded causing me a problem. I have researched hours upon hours and have found nothing about constant pain with standing and walking. The pain intensifies until I sit down. Sitting is the only thing that stops it. I have had to sit in the floor at the mall, grocer, 2 funerals, I am beginning to think I will never walk normally again.
I started taking gabapentin(Nerotin) and amitriptyline for the nerve pain but after a month it has hardly phased it. I also had another transferaminal injection 2 wks ago and it was no help either.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

• First let me say welcome to spine-health. Have a look around and you will many here who have lumbar issues and have dealt with multiple surgeries. I take it by your post there was no fusion there and part of the disc is left behind and also no hardware? If that is true you will find there are a few here whom have had to then go through a fusion surgery or a second lami. But, then again none of us here are qualified to say that is what is happening in your case.

How long do you have to wait to see the nuerosurgeon again? We all completely understand not getting answers when your in so much pain. Besides the nerve meds are there any other meds you are on at this time? If not is it possible to call them and ask for something while you wait to see him/her?

At the top of the page is a search feature that you could read more about lami's and I am sure there are some articles on failed procedures. Not that your procedure has failed but the fact your still in pain. Also have you looked at a dermatone map and the areas that your leg is bothering you and see if that is related to the same surgery area?

Just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health. Keep us posted on what you find out.
  • You are correct, no hardware or fusion. I also take hydrocodone 5/500, they do not help. I always get the doctors that hold out on pain meds....lol.
    My next appt is Feb. 17th.

My main concern is the fact that no one else in my days of research have had my symtoms. Most ppl have a shooting pain in the leg area. Mine lets me walk for a few min then the pain starts increases until I am in tears and does not stop until I sit down. I am just very confused.

Thank you for the welcome.
  • I'm sorry to hear you're having pain standing and although I haven't had surgery I have a similar experience I posted here http://www.spine-health.com/forum/lower-back-pain/hurts-most-brushing-teeth. Not saying yours is the same because I haven't had surgery but hope you can get some relief soon when you see your Dr.

I hope you contact your surgeon and let him know about the pain and ask what you can do for the pain if your meds aren't helping. I hope you can get some answers soon. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. so glad you dropped in! i do hope you are not left in this situation for too long.. good luck and i hope you find some pain relief soon. Jenny :)