Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How Long to Wait Before Increasing/Changing Meds?

Lala329LLala329 Posts: 283
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Pain Medications
Hi Spineys,

Hopefully some of you guys remember me- I've been away from the boards for a bit, which is actually a good sign as I've really been working hard to get some normalcy in my "after pain" life...

My question is this: I started on daily 100 mg tramadol ER about 6 months ago and did *great* on it. Excellent pain control, minimal side effects. Around the end of the year it seemed to not be working as well, so my doctor and I decided to bump up to the 200 mg to see if that would be better.

I've been on the 200 mg about 6 weeks now, and in terms of pain levels I'm not really noticing any difference. I'm also emotionally very off- just kind of flat and not myself.

I'm not sure how long to stick with this before going back to the doctor to re-evaluate things. I know with the SSRI element you have to give it time, but I'm thinking by 6 weeks I should be pretty much there. Has anyone ever gone from the 100 to the 200? What was your experience like? Any advice/feedback is appreciated :)

• hi! i am sorry you are back under these conditions Lala! i am not on tramadol but i do think you have given the medication enough time to work and could go to your doctor and have a change made.. six weeks seems like plenty of time to find out if a medication works for you or not, so don't suffer, talk to your doctor!!! Jenny :)
  • Well - welcome back! Glad you've been busy - that's great! (I remember you were starting school - I do hope things have been going well for you.) I'm sure many people remember you! 6 weeks is PLENTY of time to see if the Tramadol's working for you or not. I've only taken the "instant" tramadol, at low doses (50mg 3 x p/d). I took it with Celebrex for almost a year - AND I LOVED IT - No narcotics! Feeling normal!

Then the Celebrex made my skin and hair SHED - very rapidly; so I stopped that, and then I realized the Celebrex masked the blinding headaches that Tramadol gave me. So it was back to Oxy.

Tramadol is a great drug - but you also need to be careful long-term - it'll cause kidney/liver damage. 10 years can go by fast.