Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF preparation questions

Lili_InuLLili_Inu Posts: 633
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
After speaking with 2 neurosurgeons, I decided to move forward with the operation. They both agreed that ACDF for necessary. So, I'm scheduled for a ACDF on C5-C6 this Friday. I'm very anxious and a bit freaked out, but I can no longer deal with the pain and my symptoms have been getting worse.

What should I stock up on at home? I know I have to be on a soft food diet for at least 2 weeks.

What tips do you have for getting sleep at night?

Any other suggestions would be most appreciative!
2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches

• You can find it at the top of the Back and Neck Surgery page.

There are lots of good ideas for things that will help you. Some of the items are for cervical surgery and some are for lumbar surgery. Some apply to both types of surgery.

Keep asking questions Lili_Inu.
    Hope all goes well for you and that you will soon feel much better and will be glad that you had the surgery.

• Metalneck and jellyhall,

Thanks for the guidance! I'll will check those pages.
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • Hi Lii,

Surgery is different for everyone and how they recover. Being through the surgery multiple times I always prepared for the worst which made it easier to deal with everything once home. I will tell you that I have never had to eat the soft diet and was eating normal foods without a issue, following the procedures. The one thing I can tell you I had at the hospital with me was throat lozenges. I also took my laptop and some movies just in case you end in a shared room with one TV, so you can keep yourself busy. I am not much of a sleeper so, even with surgery didn't change that actually made it worse not being in my comfort zone. Another thing is be sure you have a button up shirt to put on following surgery for your return home. I actually brought the clothes I was going to come home and lounge around in, so in case I didn't feel like changing again. Also sense they will get you up and walking you might want some PJ pants or shorts or you can just use the two gowns turned against each other. The other thing is I always bring my own pillows, we have a huge love affair going.

You will find many more helpful hints in the surgery forum. Good luck with surgery, if i can be of any more help don't hesitate to pm me. Take care.
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    Do you have a good recliner with lotsa pillows??
    & Ben and Jerry's ice cream just about saved my life after my revision of a two level that put me in the hospital for 9 days.

There are check lists on this site .... and Question lists for your doc's)... Find um print um use um!

Use the Search at the top of most pages,

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• Great advice about the ice cream and recliner... really exactly what I would of said. Good luck with your surgery!