Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

pregnancy after back surgery

karfrakkarfra Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:50 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have had a lower back discectomy a year ago and would now like to try for a baby. Has anyone been in this situation? Did pregnancy after surgery cause any major problems to back?
I have not had any back pain since the op.

thanks
karfra
advertisement

Comments

• i had a discectomy too. I questioned pregnancy afterwards, and they advised 1 year, so from my consultants point of view you would be fine.

good to hear you are pain free :)
    L5/s1 discectomy & decompression 2009
    ALIF l5/s1 2011
    Awaiting X-ray & consultant to see if fused, but experiencing a lot of pain again :( 2013
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    The low back takes the brunt of pregnancy weight. Having had my L4-S1 fusion in 1993 and getting married in 2001 we decided not to have kids as we didn't want to risk it for my back. My spine doc had said likely bed rest in 3rd trimester and mandatory c-section. I was 34 and hubby was 40 and we didn't want to start then. Worked out well as my back got worse. But I'm the exception to every rule :-)
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • PM sent. Basically, even with a fusion, if you feel OK, you can, although depending on levels/anatomy you may have more pain with pregnancy, and like said above may need C-section. On thing I was not told, was that you should wait for one year to get pregnant if you doc uses BMP on you.