Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Want to join a gym

turbo313tturbo313 Posts: 122
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Diet, Nutrition, Weight Loss
and was looking into xxx . anyone a member there...is it worth the money? i like it because they have a pool and lots of differect excersise machines.

Post edited to remove specific name of business

Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Administrator 02/08/11

• was just looking to see if anyone knew of a good gym to work out in :(
  • Most gyms allow prospective members a trial membership, such as 3 free visits to check out the place. Some will hook you up with a trainer, tho the trainer will try to sell you on membership, you can also get some good advice for planning a work out.

It may be wise to use a trainer for a few sessions to get familiar with the equipment & how to use it safely, especially with spine issues. The equipment can be pretty overwhelming when you're new & it's easy to hurt yourself.

• I don't know your history if you had spine surgery but why not try a Physiatrist(Sports medicne Dr.) He may be able to help you with what exercises you can do and then you'll be more equipped to see if you'll be able to join a gym and be confident you wouldn't be doing more damage with your condition. I know for swimming I went toa Physiotherapist where there's a therapeutic heated pool and she showed me exercises I could do myself in the water. They can aslo let you know if epilitical would be best for you rather than treadmill. Best wishes. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hello,
    I negotiated a pay as you go payment, rather than not use the provision when my functionality was restricted, they were glad to accept my money and although is was a bit more expensive at least I was not paying when I was unable to go.

They were very encouraging in the fact that I could not go all the time and supportive to my specific needs, this was a continuance to exercise on prescription in the UK when a six week trial was initiated by my GP to encourage some improvement.

Take care and your time.

John…..a bit thinner.

• My NS told me I could do the elliptical machine and light weights. I guess it is also an excuse to get out of my house and just zone for a bit. 2 kids, a cat and a husband along with twork make it difficult to get any sort of work out done at home.

I definitely know what my limitations are and wouldn't push myself too hard. There is a pool at the place i am considering. I know there are a few strokes i can still do that won't require me turning my head. plus the jacuzzi alone is worth going :)
  • 1. Stretch your meals to, at least, 20 minutes or longer. Your stomach, mouth and brain are all connected and it takes 20 minutes of chewing before your stomach signals your brain that you are full. To feel full and successfully lose weight on any weight loss program, you need to eat slowly for 20 minutes or longer.

2. I consulted Dr. ABC & he asked me Drinking 8 glasses of water a day is important to your health, your normal diet and to help lose weight. Water is necessary for the metabolism of your stored fat. Weight loss cannot occur without an active metabolism which requires large quantities of water. Another way to use water to lose weight is to drink a large glass of ice water just before meals. The cold causes your stomach to shrink slightly which will make you feel full faster.

Post edited to remove specific doctor name. Forum rules prohibit the user of actual doctor names

Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Administrator 01/29/12
  • raavn111rraavn111 Posts: 5
    edited 01/09/2013 - 7:59 PM
    I think you should start running and cycling first and have honey with warm water to loose fat and then start Gym

• Hello,
    A lot of people find that working out in a gym keeps them disciplined and motivated towards achieving their weight loss goals. At the gym, everyone is exercising, working out and getting into shape.
  • Hi, I have had two separate lumbar fusions one in 1991 and one in 2012. After the first one I was told I could start walking right away and swiming after a month, after the second one with a different surgeon was walking right away and no gym exercise for 3 months. Both were sucessful
    L5-S1 Fusion 1991, Endoscopic Decompresion 2010, L4-L5 Fusion 2012
  • annamorr56aannamorr56 Posts: 2
    edited 06/26/2014 - 12:13 AM
    I was joined gym in 2010 for one and half year then I decided to do exercise daily at home. I have 6 pack body and mountain shape of muscles. Gym helps me a lot at my starting time of exercise.
  • Gym hmhmhmh is easiest way to go to gym but I am really for some running playing tennis or some other sport outside ...
  • patriciasmithppatriciasmith Posts: 4
    edited 07/01/2014 - 3:05 AM
    @hollygomez..Yeah I do concur with your thoughts...Workout helps you to become disciplined and motivated towards weight loss and diet too..It not only maintain health but gives you an internal spirit..Lots of people prefer to go to gym just because to regulate EDIT

Link removed, solicitation not permitted.Please read the Forum rules
    Post Edited by Liz The Spine-Health Moderator Team
  • LarnersourLLarnersour Los Angeles, CAPosts: 52
    I still can't decided where to go. Except the limited time that i have i really need to lose weight, but I'm scared that through some additional movements my pain will come back more frequently... just some really scary thoughts about gym.. so confused
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832

This is an old discussion created by a member no longer on the forum so I am closing it.
    I suggest you create a new discussion using the link below

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
This discussion has been closed.