Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

cervical facet inj. w/ light sedation?

mla412mmla412 Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Spinal Injections
I have had many ESI and TPI injections but never facet injections. For everything I have had done I've been in deep sedation with propofol. This time I have been told it will be light sedation but was not given a med name. Can anybody who has had this tell me what "light" sedation is and what I can expect after the procedure? Thanks!

• I see you are a new member and would like to welcome you to spine-health. We are a great community of members with the one thing in common that none of us wish to have--spine issues. I look forward to reading your posts and getting acquainted.

I have had several facet injections, both right and left side in the C5 to T1 area. For me, the facet injections were moderately uncomfortable. I had one with sedation, and seven other ones without. I am a hard stick for an IV and honestly, the getting the IV was more bothersome than the actual injection. The first one I had sedation. 2nd time I tried for the sedation, but we gave up after several tries with the IV. After that, I chose not to even try the sedation, and found it to be okay. So my opinion is whatever med they use in the "light" sedation you mention is probably adequate. I was told the reason they do the sedation is more to keep the patient calm and to help the patient to forget the procedure than it is for pain control.

My cervical ESI was also done without sedation. I wasn't even offered it. Yup, that one was very painful for a few seconds, especially at the moment they injected the medication. But, remaining calm and breathing through it wasn't too difficult. If I had done the sedation, I likely would not have been able to describe what I felt, so the no-sedation thing helped with knowing we were definitely in the right spot.

Try not to worry too much. The facet injections are not as painful as the ESI, at least in my experience. You could call the facility doing the procedure and ask the name of the medication they will use. I think research and knowing what you are doing is a great thing. Good luck to you.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!