Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How long before RFA works?

rmsailsrrmsails Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Spinal Injections
I had RFA at facet joints L4-L5 4 weeks ago today and still have no relief. I had 2 facet injections previously to test the nerves and they worked so I had very high hopes for this procedure.

Can anyone tell me how long it should take for the RFA to work? Each day is getting harder and harder to face because of the pain.

• Mine took about 2 weeks to stop hurting from the proceedure, then within about a month the pain was gone. The pain stayed down for about 3 months.
  • I've had 4, in different places, and they all worked immediately. I did have pain from each procedure for a few days after, but it was a different kind of pain. Hope it works for you!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Thanks for your comments.

I guess I'm going to have to accept that it just didn't work even though the test shots worked. I'm really down about this and don't know what to do next.
  • Happy to say the Dr. thinks I will still get some relief. I am about 30% better on one side and I'll take it!

I am now near 5 weeks out and hopeful once again that I'll get more relief soon.
  • It should have been normal till now. May be you are the one who takes longer to heal or may be you are not resting enough..you are remaining busy. Don't worry there are many cases where post RFA, healing time is more. but still you are feeling enhanced pain or more time, you can talk to your doc and look for pain killers or prescribed medicines.
  • Hi Kelly,

I read in a Dec 2010 post that you had RFA done with a pulse wave. Im also Cdn and wondered where you had this done? I will be getting my done in May in Toronto. My PM doc has offered me cryo ablation or traditional. He is very open and would be interested in looking into the pulse wave as well - not in time for my first treatment though.

Im also VERY scared. Because I react to any local freezing he is having to skip the initial pain mapping step and is doing it all in one 2-3 hr session on my SI area. He's very experienced and I trust him. He assures me I only need to be awake enough to say if I feel pain. He said compared the hysterectomy I had last fall, plus a bone marrow test and other invasive procedures I should be OK. Still, it's my spine. Ive read on other forums many who had this procedure done sucessfully and get lasting relief in between. Fingers crossed Im one. Im cautiously hopeful and as usual avoiding any fear mongering or negativity.
  • Just curious.. are you still feeling good? I had RFA done 2 1/2 weeks ago and still am having pain :(

I hope you are still having success!