Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello, I'm new!

PrincessCATPPrincessCAT Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in New Member Introductions
I have degenerative disc disease, arthritis and I am 1 year and 3 months post lumbar spinal fusion.
I take Flexiril, actually the generic, for back spasms when needed.I'm also on a slew of other meds, but they are not for my back.
I have had x-rays, the first x-ray revealed a possible stress fracture in one of my discs, all x-rays there after were to make sure the titanium in my back post surgery had not moved and that my bone grafts were healing. I had an MRI which showed disc herniation at the L4/L5 and L5/S1 region. I had a discography, which I hope I never have to have again, it showed a pain response of 7 at the L4/L5 and a pain response of 9 at L5/S1.
November 5, 2009 I had a lumbar spinal fusion. They removed the discs from my L4/L5 and L5/S1 regions, the latter of the two was completely herniated, sitting on my nerves and was calcifying. I had 2 bone grafts, 2 titanium cages and 6 titanium screws put in my back. Prior to surgery I had severe pain in the lumbar region with sciatic pain in the right leg. I also had a loss of feeling in my right foot and a loss of my reflexes. I had to take pain meds constantly and I was walking with a cane. I was 33.
I currently have no upcoming surgeries.
Besides having back problems, I have diabetes, high blood pressure, a fast heartbeat, high triglycerides, Poly-cystic Ovarian Syndrome, mild depression, and mild OCD. Most of my health problems have been past down from my parents, actually everything except the OCD. By the way my name is CAT I live in the Baltimore Metro region of MD, I'm 34, married, have no kids, and drive a school bus for a living. 8>

• Hey, CAT. :) I'm new too - my name is Jodi. I can relate to being young for all this crap (see the details in my signature). Have your doctors ever been reluctant to explore surgery because of your age? I'm assuming your surgery has relieved your pain, is that true? I also wanted to ask if the high pain response to your discogram led to your doctors wanting to pursue surgery. I just had a discogram, which recreated the worst pain I've EVER had in that area - a 9/10. I don't want surgery, but I want to be relieved of pain, which outweighs the surgical fears. I also have depression, so I can relate to mental health issues complicating things.

I'm pretty new to all this, but maybe chatting would do us some good! Feel free to contact me.

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. it is so nice you dropped in Cat! i am sorry you are having pain problems and hope you find some relief soon... please have a good look around the different forums and make yourself at home.. i see that you are dealing with other health problems besides pain problems.. that is alot to handle and work as well!! i hope you find some relief being around spineys who feel as you do.. belief me it helps! stop by anytime! Jenny :)