Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

DDD and back surgery

mark81mmark81 Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
hi everyone im new , im awaiting my confirmation for 5 months time to have a anterior double discetomy and cage. Im 29 and have been suffering with spine problems since the age of 18 and i have already had two lumber ops , one was in 2005 for a microdiscetomy and then again in 2010 on the same area for a laminectomy and microdiscetomy. It was noted after my first operation that i suffered with faild back syndrome and the second operation was to correct the original level . I have had caudual epidurals and facet joint injections with no success .Over the years i have discovered i have quite a few thorasic discs which are prolapsed but not currently compressing any nerves.I new that i had neck problems and previous scans had shown this but due to being brushed off and basically told that i have ddd and to get on with it i opted for a second opinion and im so glad that i did as i really thought my lower spine was the worst and in fact it was my neck and i have been told that if these problems were not found out like they have been within 10 years time i would have deteriorated and lost my whole lower half from the neck down , my second opinion found that my cervical discs are compressing the spinal cord quite alot , no wounder i have so much weakness and when i had an examination my bicep and tricep reflexes are diminished and not there and they also found a synovial cyst at l4-l5 which was at the same level as my lumber surgery that i had done previously they also found severe narrowing of the spine and they was at shock as to how much but i have a lot of scar tissue that my nerve endings are trapped in also at l4-l5 but Im so glad that i got my second opinion and found a hospital and a neurological department that know what they are doing and the surgeons that have found these problems who knows where i would have been in a few years , i have suffered so much due to my spinal problems i could write a book of the pain and the struggle that this cripling disease has given me , my previous hospital consultants said i was imagining the pain i even went to moorfields eye hospital to get my eyes checked because i suffer everyday with headaches but my eyes were perfectly fine and she said she thought it had something to do with my spine i could even hear a fluidy noise in my ears sometimes i know it sounds silly but im sure its the fluid in the spine regarding my neck problems but lucky i have every single copy of my records.

• HI Mark,

First let me say welcome to spine-health. Have a look around and you will find many here whom suffer from issues of all areas of the spine, including myself. You will also find many here whom have had to have more than one surgery to correct issues, so we all understand where your coming from.

How did you get injured to have so many issues at such a young age. It is unfortunate that you have been blown off, but seems as though you are being taking serious now. I am glad to hear that nothing serious developed out of no one lessoning to you.

For your neck problems be sure to check out the neck pain forum and the same for the thoracic. Once you are through surgery we also have a recovery forum. When is your surgery date? Are you in the UK or Canada, we have several members from those locations.

Just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health. Keep us posted on how you get along and if there is anything I can do for you don't hesitate to pm me. Take care.
  • Hi tamtam and thanks for the welcome and im in the uk.I have basically grown up with this condition and started experiencing problems at 18 years of age.Its alot to take on especially with the ammount of things going on. Here is a report i recieved that come in the post from the neurosurgeon.

Left ankle reflex was normal and right ankle was abcent .Tricep reflexes were diminished and also absent bicep reflexes.Whole spine mri shows multilevel degenerative changes.At c4/5 a central osteophyte distorts the spinal cord without clear cord compression or intrinsic cord signal change.At c5/6 there is a right sided discophyte causing severe right and moderate left sided exit foraman stenosis. in the thorasic spine there are again multilevel degenaritive changes.Most notable at t3/4 a left sided discophyte caues mild distortion of the thoracic cord with no suggestion of cord4/5 and compression or intrinsic cord signal change.At t7/8 a further central disk bulge narrows the thoracic canal without cord compression.in the lumber spine , there is a moderate to severe l3/4 lumber canal stenosis.At l4/5 and l5/s1 there is distortion to the nerve roots but no clear nerve root compression. There is a clear cause of brachialgia on the cervical mri .

Once i have recovered from my anterior double discectomy and fusion they will look to see if my symptoms are the same still with my lumber spine and look at doing something with my l3/4 canal stenosis . I have quite a bit going on in my back at the moment but i know im in very good hands.Its just a matter of dealing with the ongoing pain and day to day living and the difficultys that it puts in the way.