Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Swimming shortly

f4tune81ff4tune81 Posts: 54
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Exercise and Rehab
I'm going swimming shortly. All along it has been the lifeline for my aerobic conditioning. Since the BP has gone borderline recently, I have tried to maintain this. At gym yesterday I was able to stationary cycle comfortably for 12 minutes at a moderate load, so that was encouraging as well.

I'll take some tylenol before leaving the house this morning. My concern is that I don't have any firm guidelines as to what's allowed activity wise, but I've decided no spine loading exercises. Extension works OK for me in fact it's part of my rehab along the lines of the McKenzie therapy program. My PT did not really lay out a detailed plan and both times I saw him he answered my questions basically but didn't give much direction or set up regular visits. O well..

• hi! please be careful with what you try to do in the pool! it is always a good idea to have some direction from a good pt or even a doctor before you start. good luck to you! Jenny
  • I was recommended swimming too by my surgeon but told that under no circumstances was I to do breast stroke (or any similar leg kicking out strokes) as it lengthens the spine when you stretch forward and kick at the same time. Front crawl/back stroke they said were fine.

I can't actually kick my legs at all when I swim as it puts my spine into spasm, so I swim with a woggle float around my waist and keep my legs still while just doing arm strokes.
  • Thanks lulus and bad. I'll heed your advice. The swim went well and my wife and I spent 50 min in the gym today, very mild exercises all in all. I did no overhead presses or lifts at all and while on treadmill, held on to the front handles. It takes off just enough pressure to enable me to keep going, unlike my other walking experiences recently.

I really won't go back to what I used to do exercise-wise for at least 1 yr and no long bike rides, but may do some commuting when it warms up -- I work 3 miles away.

• I never would have thought it's possible to hurt yourself swimming, but I found a way. I was doing 36 laps most mornings until recently when the pain became unbearable.

I found out there were 2 culprits in my case. One, as was mentioned, was the hyperextension. If your head is up, there is a risk of causing trouble with your neck & low back.

Second is the twisting, at least for me, doing the freestyle (crawl) was bad news.

I definitely would get some guidelines from a qualified PT. You really can hurt yourself swimming, tho I was hard to convince & had to learn this the hardest way possible.
  • Hope you get well soon, and be careful on your exercises. You should have guidelines on what you exercise everyday and monitor it. Good Luck to you and more power! :)

Solicitation is not permitted. Post Edited by Authority Member Numbskull

• I'm a spiney via neck, but back has joined in. Not counting thoracic, as that 'fix' is waaaaayyy down the road. I'm just waiting now that the weather is finally hitting the mid 80's with some regularity, that my above ground pool will warm enough to start swimming again!

Yeah, you live in South Florida, and indoor pools are not a common thing! (G) Water chems are balanced, vacuumed, skimmed - come on solar heater, do your job!! I hope you find it as many of us. A nice spiney break from the mechanical pain, and if not pushed, a great way to get exercise!! :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Sounds really good Aviatrix, I'd love an outdoor pool. I've continued to do my laps and did swim sprints the last time. Then I got a dog bite and had to wait till the wound closed, as pools don't allow open wounds in the water. May be back in the water by tomorrow and try the sprints again. I think it makes a lot of splashing and attracts attention, but could catch on
  • Yeah I've lived in Florida over 20 years, toyed with putting an in ground pool, but never did. When my back joined in, I decided to go with the above ground. If I go in the pool and the water temperature is below 87-88 degrees, my feet start cramping bad - so come on sun!!

I hope you have a great time tomorrow!! And sure, why not, start a sprinting trend!! :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Well I would suggest you to take much care during swimming because it might cause any problem .Moreover, You might have to consult with your doctor for better advice .