Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

queenjillybeanqqueenjillybean Posts: 46
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Recovering from Surgery
i am currently about to start week 3 of my most recent spinal fusion which was a combo XLIF and PLIF...i have also had prior fusions and spine surgeries as listed on my signature below... my issue with THIS recovery that i am most concerned about is what appears to be SWELLING...
i am normally very very thin throughout my waist/ ribs and stomach area (waif-like)- and i was until my surgery- and i am STILL markedly swollen 3 weeks later- my clothes fit me RADICALLY different- (my shirts/ tanks/ hoodies etc primarily)- and i LOOK like a different person and misshapen... i do not recall looking and being THIS swollen or DIFFERENT after my prior ALIF/PLIF's...
i also have a hump in my back under my skin- that was not there before either...
i have googled info on XLIF and on PSOAS muscle and seem to only find info as to marketing crap for the XLIF- and i am wanting to fins out from other patients if they experienced swelling and feeling HUGE through their mid-section/torso and if so- how long did it last?

• am still struggling and looking for ANY feedback as to ANYTHING regarding my original post... i am still swollen and i am becoming increasingly alarmed by the HUMP in my spine under my skin that was not there before surgery- does ANYONE else have humps or lumps in their back from hardware? i DO have A LOT of hardware- i did before this fusion= and i will ask my surgeon about this hump at my 6 week appointment... my PM dr was also alarmed by the hump- as well as ALL of my loved ones who have seen it...
  • I dont remember any hump or realy bumps. I had a PLIF, same levels. I think you might be best to call your surgeon. If it is anything, the sooner it is treated the better, are you running a temp or anything? Just rather be safe than sorry, Just my take on it. Good Luck and Hugs, Robin
  • I had a alif/plif (360) lumbar fusion on Feb 1. My back has a giant lump of swelling still and my abodomen looks as if i'm pregnant. I think the abdomen part has to do with the fact that they have to shove stuff (intestines) out of the way to get to the spine. I am guessing things haven't fallen back into place. The swelling in my back, I'm assuming that is a sort of protective swelling and its bound to go away before long.
  • i also had the ALIF/PLIF combo surgery in 2001 and i was about 40 pounds heavier than i am now- and 10 years younger... but when i had my ALIF/PLIF, i did not notice so much swelling- and i had double level fusion as well as harvest from my iliac crest... HOWEVER, i did have an abdominal "pooch" from where the muscles were cut going in through the front... i definitely have another "pooch" type thing on my left side near my oblique muscles and abdomen that is most certainly where they cut me on my waist for the XLIF- and possibly also from the muscles being cut on my back yet again for the PLIF too...
    one year after i had the aLIF/PLIF (360) in 2001, they had to go back in one year later and add hardware and did a secondary 2 level fusion and only went through my back that time- and took another bone harvest from my other side iliac crest... about 6 weeks post op from the 2nd fusion in 2002 i started going to pilates with a private trainer 4 days a week who specialized in rehab of spine surgeries... i went religiously for 6 years 4 times a week- and it was miraculous for my body... within a year i lost over 50 lbs- 40 of which i had gained over 3 years of being immobile and having the 2 fusions and a lamonectomy... my core muscles to this day are super strong- even after completely rebuilding my body, my abdomen has a tiny "bloop" or sag on one side where they cut me for the ALIF...it is barely noticeable- and only i really notice because it is my body and i am super critical of myself... when i went in for the XLIF/PLIF that i had 4 weeks ago, i was teeny tiny- especially though my middle (i have a pear shape, i guess)... i already have a super bony back with visible ribs and hip bones- so, it was shocking to look in the mirror and not recognize my reflection... i once again have a sagging- it is different from the ALIF sag, but i am praying it will go away once i am fully healed... my swelling HAS gone down somewhat, but not entirely, in fact 2 weeks post op, a top and hoodie that i wore home from the hospital and were "loose" were tight on me when i went to put them on- i weighed myself and i was up 8 pounds- but it HAS to be water retention and swelling because i could gain 40 lbs and be smaller through my torso/ middle than i am now just how i am built...it is a struggle since i feel out of sorts, in pain, emotional and generally yukky as it is, so for me it was a blow to add this issue to the mix...
    as far as the hump goes, i am trying not to obsess over it or even look at it in the mirror at this point... again, i do not recall anything like it after my other 2 fusions, but again, i was heavier then, and all of my post surgeries my body has reacted differently.
    How are you faring with your recovery?