Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New L4 L5 Fusion

Jimbo1JJimbo1 Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi, First post here. I just thought I would tell my story. Who knows, it might help some one.
I'm 44 yrs old (or will be in a week). I have had sciatica pain from my lower back down my left leg to my toes for about 6 yrs. It became bad enough to start getting lumbar facet and epidural block injections about 4 yrs ago. I started with one set of blocks a year and then 2 and then 3 a year the last 2 yrs. Now, I do not take pain meds or any medication unless I am dying. I took nothing but Motrin the first 4 years. I refused Vicoden, Flexerall or ty/codine. The pain going down my leg was causing me to walk with a limp and I could not sleep at night. 3 yrs ago I started taking sleep meds to get me 4 hrs of pain free sleep. 1 yr ago I I started taking Vicodin 750mg (pain) and soma (Muscle relaxer). They just took the edge off. I kept up my work as an network cable tech and electrician. Climbing through ceilings and up and down ladders. The last 5 months I would work and come home and lay flat on the floor untill bed time. Nothing else. No playing with my boys, No bike riding, No fishing, No Nothing.
The pain and pain meds were taking their toll on me, my family and my life.
On Nov 17th 2010 I had an L4 L5 Fusion. 1 rod and 5 screws. The pain was gone when I woke up in post op. For the first time in almost 7, 8 yrs I had no pain in my back or leg. The nerve pain came back briefly for about 3 weeks but a steroid pack took care of that.
Now I am in my 5th week of therapy. I work it hard and it hurts. But the pain is so much better than before my surgery. I do what they ask and try not to push it.
I now take sleep meds and no pain meds. I feel better. My life is better. My goal from day one has been to get bak into hiking. I plan to back pack Isle Royle in the fall if all goes well.
Sorry for the ramble hope it helps.

• Good to hear about your healing is going so well after surgery. I hope you have a complete recovery. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • What a wonderful success story! Thank you for posting.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • I put my surgery off for to long. I have always been very healthy and active. When my back would go out for a day or 3 I would dismiss it as normal wear and tear. Then when the sciatica started lasting for days and then into weeks of fire and burning pain along with numbness, I thought I would just work it out of my system.
    I waited and waited and kept getting nerve blocks and taking meds. I should have had my Fusion 2 years ago. I'm not out of the woods yet. I am still in pain. On the Doc's list of 1 to 10 I mostly sit at about a 3 to 5. But I can walk again!! I can have my boys sit on my lap with out horrific pain in my leg or foot going to sleep. And it gets better every week. And I take no pain meds. I am getting my life back.
    Don't wait to long. Get fixed. If it does not go perfect, think of what your quality of life is now. Mine is a whole lot better..