Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3 month post op, hoping for some bone growth

lmhs1935llmhs1935 Posts: 75
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello All.

Tomorrow I have my three month post op for spinal fusion with hardware. I am hoping the xrays show at least a bit of bone growth. I feel pretty good with all my original pain comepletely gone. I know if I don't grow some bone there could be some more surgery in my future and I DON'T want that for sure.

Take Care,

• I had my check up this morning and while he couldn't see any visible bone growth everything else looked great. Don't have to go back for three months and I am starting to wean myself from my back brace. That is the best news.

• Glad to hear that you are pain free! Bone growth takes longer time for some, so hang in there! ;)
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • Thats great news! but I have a queastion. you said that if you didnt get any bone growth that they would have to re do the surgery.
    Did they give you a date or time frame for bone growth?
    I have a 3 month coming up soon...
    thank you
    and keep posting your updates
  • It can take up to a year for the bone to grow. I go back in three months so hopefully I will know something by then.

• I have had a previous fusion and am in the midst of my 2nd. The first was L4,5,S1 and it took around 4-5 months for bone to be seen. This time I was 6 weeks out and they saw growth, levels l2,3,4. So it just depends. And like everyone says, it can take up to a year or more for complete fusion. Some as long as 2 years for solid fusion. Good Luck, but dont get discouraged if it isnt there at 3 mths, :)
  • =D> I am so happy for you Lauren. It is great to hear things are going so well for you. Yea!

Quick question. Are you working? You mentioned no pain and I have developed lower back pain from sitting. I am only working 1/2 day but it's an hour to Dallas then I sit for two hours and go for a 10 or 15 minute walk work another two and then drive home another hour. I start at 10:00 and by 12:00 I am hurting big time and am so exhausted.

I am still taking both pain meds oxycontin and oxycodone and a muscle relaxer for my spasms.
    My supervisor doesn't want me working if I am hurting but I am running out of sick leave pay at 100% : :??
    Just wondering. I go in on Feb. 28 for my cat scan then to see my nuero on the 8th to review bone growth.

God Bless Everyone. You all have been so helpful.
  • Hoping everyone has heard good news from their drs about progress and fusion or bone growth. At 6 weeks no bone growth, hoping there will be at the 3 month mark. Still limited ROM and some swallowing issues. At least I am not living on pain killers and I am able to drive short distances. Hope everyone has a great :) day.

12/9/2010 ACDF C5-6 C6-7 with plate, screws,
    BMP & bone fragment filled cages
    6 weeks no bone growth
    2/14/2011 went to go back to work as a teacher
    2/17/2011 starting PT
    wearing bone stimulator 4 hours a day
    DDD, arthritis, herniated disks, pinched nerves
  • He is doing well but surgeon said in
    our first post-op visit at three months that it was too soon for fusion to start.
  • Lauren you amaze me!.. i wish i was doing as well .i also have no bone growth after 3 months but ns said all looked well!.... are you still on pain meds? cause im still on them and i go see ns every month and pt is killing me its awful i walk out of there crying and spend next 2 days in bed!...