Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Dilaudid extended release? Newcomer to board

Windchimer56WWindchimer56 Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:50 AM in Pain Medications
Hello all,

I stumbled upon this board and am excited to have partners in this nightmare I have experienced for nearly 10 years.

There is no short but I will try. I had one surgery for a simple fusion with instrumentation L4-L5 in 2005 after 5 years of living with it and pain medication. Shortly after that major leg pain returned. Ortho doctor/surgeon said "it is repaired, this may be what you have to live with". Three years later (with just surviving on pain meds) an MRI showed the hardware had actually broken. Unbelieveable and it is only guaranteed for 3 years, this was 3 yrs, 1 month and 11 days later.

After finally seeing a neuro surgeon (I suggest surgery by them instead of orthos) he repaired and caged all sacral and lumbar areas EXCEPT scar tissue surrounding the broken screw and he could not get to it. Hence, the nerve pain from this screw impinging it was still there and in addition, the thoracic CT scan showed T3 through T12 are all bulging. I often ask myself what happened that my back is such a mess and can only conclude that I played league volleyball for 15 years. They are calling it degenerative disc disease.

Today I received my 39th spinal injection which I am convinced doesn't do anything but the pain management doctor insists the pain would be multiplied without. I am on massive amounts of Oxycontin (60 mg 3x day) and Roxycodone for breakthrough pain (15 mg up to 4x day). In addition all the other things we think help like Neurontin, Flexeril and of course more Aleve than I should probably take.

When I saw the doctor today during the injection he suggested that I change to Dilaudid extended release. I didn't even know they made it in an ER form. Has anyone taken the extended release form of dilaudid? Any ideas of a comparison to the amount of Oxycontin I take converting to the ER dilaudid?

It had been a long road, often filled with depression and sadness about what the rest of my life will look like if it is like this at my young age of 54. I could exercise and walk so much better last spring/summer however I have really detoriated since then. The brutal winter in PA didn't help as it prevented my daily walks.

I wish they would finally manufacture something that isn't so addicting that relieves pain. They have discussed the pain pump with me however my neurosurgeon says "no way". He says I am too young to use the last resort yet. Last resort? Geez

Any input or simple support would be so welcome.

Thanks,
Brenda
advertisement

Comments

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i have never heard of er dilaudid so i cannot give you any info on that.. it must be very new as i understood it was only available overseas in er form.. so i just want to say hi and i am sorry you are in so much pain.. that your surgeries were so unsuccessful!! i have never heard the "pump" refered to as a last resort and i imagine if you spoke to some spineys on them in here, they could give you some good information on the pump.. any tool that offered you pain relief would be a good one i would think, but of course if am no doctor! please have a good look around and make yourself at home.. good luck go you! Jenny :)
  • i take hydromorph contin, which is 12-hour time release dilaudid (hydromorphone). i used to take straight hydromorphone but i am feeling better on hydromorph contin and dilaudid for breakthrough pain
  • Hi Brenda: Welcome to Spine Health. You have found a wonderful place for support and understanding also you will find great information related to the spine.

I have never taken oral Diladuid but I do have it in my pain pump. Exalgo, Hydromorphone (Diladuid)in the ER form has not been on the market long. The FDA approved it in 2010 so not a lot of Doctors are using it yet. I am sure we will be herarng more and more about it as it's use becomes more wide spread.

As I said, I have Diladuid in my pain pump and am doing great on it. In a pain pump you only need a fraction of the oral meds because it is pumped directly into the spinal cord. Doses are in micrograms. Diladuid is a bit stronger than morphine.
    I have no side effects at all with it.

Please do not confuse physical dependance with addiction. They are not the same. Addiction is a behavior related to getting and using a drug for non-medical reasons.
    When you are physical dependant your body has become use to getting a drug every day and you may have a severe reaction if you suddenly stop taking it. This can be avoided if you taper off the medication. I have never has any problem stopping any medication, not even narcotics. And I do not have to taper off of anything.

You may believe you are on massive doses of pain medication but I have seen people who are on much larger doses. In my book, not needing pain meds is the best. But thank goodness we do have them. I weep to think what my life would be without them.

Try typing Exalgo in the search box at the top of this page and you may find more information about it.

I am sorry I can't be more help to you but I wanted to welcome you to this site.
    Best of luck to you Brenda. I have made some wonderful friends here and I am sure you will to.

Please keep us updated if you do start this med. I am sure a lot of people will be interested in how you do on it. I will be.

Cheers :H
    Patsy W
  • Welcome to site. Glad you are here. There are a lot of good people to provide support and a world od information.
    This whole back thing is crazy!! I never planned to spend my 50"s like this either, and I can't seem to get doctors to actually provide answers or try other treatments. You see the doc and he says, " Here's your pills, see you next month. Take them as ordered and don't call me in the morning. In fact, just shut up and don't rock the boat."
    I guess that is a bit of an exaggeration, but I feel like none of the docs want to be bothered.
    Whoops!! sounds like a depression day. (I just started a new me)
    Best of luck and keep us posted!
    Donna
  • Welcome to the site. Here is Canada extended release dilaudid is available. It is hydromorph contin and is available in different strengths ie 12,18,24 mgs every 8 to 12 hours.
    Wishing you all the best.
    Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
advertisement