Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Why not to use the stairs

Neck of Steel CindyNNeck of Steel Cindy Posts: 1,064
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Chronic Pain
I have foot drop and other walking issues. Dumb me got tired of waiting for someone to come home to go get something from our food storage downstairs and started my journey downstairs by myself.

This is why I should not have done that:

My toes caught on a step, leg bent behind me as I fell forward, shin hit the wood step twice as I bounced down, both knees bruised, one knee scraped up, other bruises, and arm hurts into neck from catching myself with the arm. And this is one time that I think it hurts as bad or worse than it looks. Today is worse than 2 days ago when it happened.

So this is my number 1 reason why not to use the stairs.

Lets make this fun. Anyone else have stories to share of why they should NOT have used the stairs? I know I'm not the only one who has fallen. Please share.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,878
    Cindy, I hope you are ok
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Oh no! Sorry to see this it looks painful. I hope you're icing and elevating your legs and arm. That bruise is so big and hope you get better.

I fell a couple of times at my old townhouse and now will never ever go downstairs without holding the rail firmly. I recently bought stair mats as protection also for falls, they're called Mat King stair mats(got them at network online shopping channel) and just over a $100. for 13 tread mats. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Oh yeah, that had to hurt. I hope you start feeling better soon. That's one nasty bruise...

I never fell down the stairs, but after my ACDF when I was wearing my hard brace, I didn't have a laptop and my computer was upstairs. One day I was done and wanted to come downstairs but I forgot to take off my glasses that I only use to read or when on the computer. I took two steps down and realized my glasses were on. I got vertigo really bad, was disoriented and couldn't see anything. It was really scary. I made my way back up the stairs to put my glasses by my computer and nothing bad happened, but it was a close one.

Take care my friend.
  • I have fell so many times I have lost count. Twice I cracked my ribs, the last time convinced me to always use a cain when outside.

I did not actually fall going down my basement steps. But I was coming up the steps with both hands full when I tore 2 ligaments in my right knee. It was so very painfil I could not catch my breath. There I was stuck 2 steps from the top and I could not move!! I do not know how I made it up but I did and fell to the floor rolling in pain holding my knee.

That is a very nasty looking bruse. It's a wonder you were not hurt worse. How long did you have to lay before someone found you? Did you go to ER for x-rays?

Get better soon.
    Patsy W
  • i have a note from my ddr saying i can't use staris. at school, we have an elevator for disabled kids and or staff. i have a key and use it all the time. get a note from dr to say you can't use stairs. i can't walk them but at times i had to due to elevator not working, but school gets the elevator fixed asap. get a note and show it at work and make sure work obeys the note or hasta la vista baby for the work. it is illegal to ignore a dr note
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • I know better than to try the stairs. But I did it anyway. My own fault.

Pat, you asked how long I had to lay there. I was able to get myself back up and plopped in the recliner and sat there until someone came home. I did not go to the ER. This was done on Tuesday. For some reason it is hurting worse last night and today, so I just may go see the doc today. Trying to decide. It throbs when I am still, and when I try to stand on it, the pain is excruciating. I just find it odd that it hurts so much worse this far out.

Thankfully I don't think my neck is any worse. It was sore a bit from catching myself with my arm, but that has settled down now.

Anyone else with a falling down or up the stairs story?

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,378
    With an emphesis on the "ECC"!

Sorry about your fall. Please take it easy - er

Spine-Health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!  (Click on Welcome to Spine-Health)

• I see you are falling for me' That should keep your mind of your neck for a while. Time to get ya 1 of those alert thingy'' i have fallen and i cant get up''git-er-done Sorry just kiding of course''Hope you are ok cindy'
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Ouch. I almost had that happen to me and learned "Always hold on" to the bannister. Even with that, I worried after that incident.

I hope you are ok. That looks pretty painful.
  • Man. Thats one nasty bruise. Has ice helped at all?
  • I fell going UP the stairs myself yesterday... I am so sorry - i understand your frustration... HEAL QUICKLY.
  • I took a nasty fall down a half flight of stairs years ago when I was first diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I get disoriented on steps and lose my rhythm and this once I fell with one leg out in front and one folded under me. It was summer so I had shorts on and each step had a metal edge on it. Tore my shin up pretty bad and chipped the bone - there's still a dent in my shin. It was about 6 weeks before I could walk properly on it, probably should have had it xrayed but didn't. I'm very careful to hold the hand-rail now and haven't had a bad fall like that since. Had a very close call a couple weeks ago going down to the laundry with a basket of clothes - I don't normally carry stuff down the stairs but my sons weren't around and I was being stubborn. I almost missed a step, stumbled, but was able to catch myself... my heart raced for a good long while though and I won't do that again either. I'm actually getting my own washing machine tomorrow.
  • To all who have commented, thanks for being here. Alex, you sweet man--my husband would not like me "falling" for anyone other than him. But your joke did bring a much needed smile.

I've been icing and elevating. It still throbs even while I am still. But when I lower the leg and go to stand on it, that is my level 9 pain. I think it is just the combination of my every day pain with this added to it that puts me over the edge. This is a good reminder of what number to say my chronic pain is. This one has me in tears, and it takes a lot for me to show my pain to others.

Had it xrayed today. Not broken, but there is an old stress fracture at the ankle level. I KNEW it was broken a few years ago when I hurt my ankle, but hubby suggested we wait a day or two to go to the doctor because of $$. I waited and hobbled around on that ankle for a long time, never did go to the doctor for that. I guess I really didn't have to buck up and endure the pain without help back then.

Next on my honey-do-list is new handrails going down the stairs. I seldom try the stairs, but no one was home and stubborn me thought it would be okay.

• Hope your feeling a little better. My washer and dryer are in the basement. Laundry doesn't get done very often around here because I refuse to walk down the steps unless someone is home, just in case. No numbness or foot drop but I'm extremely clumsy. I don't know why never thought of it as a symptom of anything just who I am. Glad your going to have a handrail put in.
  • Cindy,

First off, OUCH!! That looks nasty. Sorry you fell so hard. Stairs...HATE them!

The first time I noticed problems with stairs was in my RV. My right leg apparently doesn't come up like it should, and I've gone down a few times getting in - no falling going down stairs yet. I now use both hands on the rails for both getting up and getting down. I otherwise avoid stairs now like the plague!!

I hope you're feeling better soon!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • This leg is giving me fits! It has gone from the ugly bruise I posted previously, to swollen twice the size of normal, swelling and bruising fell to ankle too and I have black toes. The swelling has been horrific, as well as the pain. Today the pain level is a little better, but now about 2/3rds of the leg has turned bright red, hot, and hard as a rock. So it will be a trip to the doctor again tomorrow if my 100.4 degree temp doesn't go away by morning. I think there must be some infection in there. Sometimes I think it is getting better, other times I worry about infection. All over a stupid fall down the stairs. My therapist asked me how many stairs I fell down, and I really don't even know. I don't know where I started, just where I ended up. Today I was finally able to put a pair of long pants on, where previously the fabric rubbing against my leg, that just did not work for me. For church on Sunday I put the nylon stockings on and could not wait to get them off when I got home. This coming Sunday I will not be wearing them. Who cares! I'm just curious how long this nasty swelling and fevering will last now. I'm ready to get on with the normal part of my life--chronic pain in other areas...
  • Washer/dryer in the basement? I think that sounds like a great reason why you need someone else to do your laundry. Will hubby or kids wash and dry the laundry and then bring it up for you to fold and put away? I know my sister makes a deal with her husband just like that. He washes and dries; she folds and puts away.
  • I like your idea Brenda. Avoid all stairs like the plague! Unfortunately that isn't practical, but it was fun for the split second I thought it may work. :)
  • yeah that is a honey to do NOW list with the handrails. Hope you are feeling better now that a little time has past, not fun. The main reason I pass on the stairs is it ends up causing more pain for me and I can fake being normal walking on a flat surface, but not on stairs.
  • In Florida *most* times we can avoid stairs, as most businesses and dwellings are ONE story! (G) From what you described on your longer post...is it possible you've incurred a bad bone bruise? I fell about five years ago chasing down a perp, and my shin took the brunt. It took like 4 months for my shin to feel "normal" and not hurt to touch it.

Bone bruises are the worst on healing!! Worse than even breaking a bone! I hope your doctor check on it goes well. Hint - psst...(G) I would still avoid stairs like the plague! :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
This discussion has been closed.