Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 mo post op question

mark399mmark399 Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi all,
Im almost 2 months post op.. I had an L5 S1 fusion and on my second epidural out of 3 for neck.

they said they needed at least 4 weeks between surgery and steroid injections.. I had a massave flare up in my neck post op.
They gave me oral steroids to hold me over till my epidural appointments. At the time I didnt think they were working.. about a week later my flare up swelling went down and I started my epidurals.. Havnt had any flare ups in my neck since..Great so far!
Now im getting a new pain my spine where the screws are.. its a sharp pain along with leg aching.. it feels like the protective swelling in my back went down.. I dont know if thats tru but its what it feels like.. I feel like im bone on bone..
Im writing it off as healing pain for now because norco makes it berable.. Ive cut my meds down to 5 a day before my surgery and kept it there other then some percocet post op.. . I feel like if it was not for this new back pain I could stop taking the meds and see where we are at.. My PM said just to keep taking the meds Im on and wait till he starts PT on my neck.. I might change my mind..lol..
anyway.. has anyone had this experience in healing or do you think I should go get a MRI or scan to see if its damaged.
thanks in advance

• I didn't experience pain from the screw site so soon after surgery - it took about 3-4 months. However, I'm now at 7 months post-op and I have a couple of issues going on. I had an MRI in January and although the hardware looks fine, when the surgeon examined my back he touched a couple of areas that were extremely tender. He thinks I've got inflammation at the S1 left screw site (which doesn't show up on MRI evidently) - and I've got right sacro-iliac pain as well.

I have the dreaded back/buttock/leg pain back again, but it's also going into my left butt and down my left leg (which I didn't have before). I'm on the waiting list for a couple of steroid injections, but this won't be until about May 2011.

I've got no medical experience whatsoever, but I suppose there could be different reasons why you could be experiencing pain at the screw site. Whatever they are you should get them checked out by your surgeon first. Have you been in touch with his secretary for an urgent appointment so you can discuss everything and for him to take further images if he feels it's necessary? It might be inflammation, a loose or broken screw, or something quite unrelated which is giving you referred pain.

Don't ignore it, get it checked out so that if anything is amiss it can be put right and for your own peace of mind as well.

Perhaps you'll post again when the problem has been resolved to let us know how you're doing OK?
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • Sue,
    thank you.. after posting I thought to myself.. why am I telling these people instead of my Dr.
    Im thinking its just healing pains.. I made an excuse to call my NS and spoke with the secratery.. I guess the Dr was standing close by.. I mentioned the pain to her and they said it needs to be looked at and xrayed right away and they would call me before the day ended if the referral went thorugh other wise she would call me tuesday ..
    I guess its a valid pain they had a real sense of urgency..
    Like you said it could be a number of things.. but I havnt done anything that I can remember that hurt it..
    but up until a couple weeks ago, I would wake up in the middle of the night almost in a complete spasam from pain where I felt like I was on fire and my legs hurt... they said it was healing pains.They were right cuase they got better.. thats what got me here now.
    thanks for posting and Im greatful for this site..with out it, I would have wrote the pain off. Hopfully its nothing..
    I will keep you guys posted