Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

6 weeks post op TLIF L5-S1 surgery....

wildfire_101wwildfire_101 Posts: 68
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
So thought i would update everyone how things were going...and had a few questions to as well..so things are going ok..though not the progress i was expecting.. I figured by now alot of the pain would have subsided but it hasn't a whole lot.. i am still on pain killers and valium to help with the pain and try to be comfortable..and it is helping until i really have a bad day or the pain is unbearable and it only takes the edge off or sometimes the meds will knock me out and of course when your sleeping fairly heavily you don't feel much, until you wake up unfortunately...I haven't started PT yet b/c my last visit to the doc he said i wasn't ready yet..But i see the doctor again March 2nd and he said he was going to probably start sending me then...I am dreading it so bad b/c i still hurt so bad...I still feel some what i felt like before i had the surgery.. so i don't know if that is a good thing or not...Or if it is still to early to even tell...I am still on a walker b/c I can't really walk without it..My question is...Is this type of pain normal for being 6 weeks post op from my surgery? I am starting to wonder if this was a mistake but it was better then not doing anything at all b/c i had already done all the conservative treatments 1st though my leg stood in the way of alot of that.. if he was helping my back then my leg was inflared and if it had something to do with my leg then the back couldn't take it....So i hope there is someone out there that can tell me what it is like to be at the 6 week mark...thanks in advance for any input....

• I havnt had a Tlif, I had a Plif, and although it is more invasive, I am sure they are somewhat the same as far as pain.
    You are very early in your reocvery. If your pain meds are knocking you out, in my experience, they are too strong. I suggest talking to your pain Dr about lowering the dosage.
    The first surgery was a PLIF 2 level, and my last was a Min invasive ALIF. The second surgery was so much easier. So I guess what I want to tell you is give it time. Your next appt will show how things are going. It took 5 months before any fusion showed the first time, and the second one,(now) I was already showing fusion at 6 weeks. So it varies from surgery to surgery. I just remember I was in alot more pain, and my progress was alot slower the first time. If you have concerns, call your Surgeon. They really want to know. Good Luck. Hopefully you will start feeling much better soon, Hugs, Robin
  • Hello Wildfire_101.

This is my 6th weeks post op, am able to walk everyday outside (I tried to, that's what my NS suggested to me to do, to help with the fusion healing process - it regulates blood flow). good days I walk for about hour and 30 minutes, not so good 30 minutes. just to keep the blood flowing. am still taking my norco 10/325 and valium 5 mg (sometimes twice or 3 x a day). after my surgery my leg pain completely went away, really had a hard time on my 1st 4 weeks. my complain right now is the stiffness and spasms on my back which always occurs during dawn or morning.. anyway just try to do some walking if you can with your walker, eventually that will help you out.
  • Thank you for taking the time to update us on how you are doing. I am sorry that you are having so much pain. You are very early out from a major surgery. Are you able to get out and walk with your walker? You are in my thoughts!
    gentle >:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • I haven't had a TLIF. I had an ALIF and at 6 weeks out, I still had a lot of back pain. Healing takes a long time and you need heaps of patience (easier said than done). I found recovery very boring and tedious, but I kept working on my attitude and today life is good again.

It took 6-7 months for the back pain to recede and to get my strength back again. It was after that when I started to feel "normal" again.

I fused within 6 months but I've had to modify a lot of my activities so that I take good care of my back.

I'd concentrate on your walking with just gentle stretching exercises which the physio in the hospital would have given you. We all heal at different rates and it's very hard going through the recovery process, but eventually most of us get there.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • I had tlif 3 months ago. I was using a walker for first two months, then a cane. Still having trouble walking and pain, I take the narco every 6 hours, not much help. Going to start therapy next, tired of being in pain. And not sleeping
  • Thanks Trish for your update . I am 3 months in and getting frustrated! I hate to grocery shop and use the electric chair but it's very difficult when it's a big grocery store. Sometimes I take hubby with me. I just don't like to bother him since he works hard, he is a Lt. And you probably know with all the police stuff they are really busy.
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832

This is an old discussion created by a member no longer on the forum so I am closing it.

You can search for articles on this subject or I suggest you create a new discussion

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
This discussion has been closed.