Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Maintaining good posture while resting?

Lala329LLala329 Posts: 283
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hey guys,

Quick one for ya'. Does anyone have a "special" wedge pillow that they prop up on to do things like read in bed while giving their low back a break?? I do this all the time, but I just use a pile of ordinary pillows with a towel rolled under my low back. I'm pretty sure this posture is terrible for my upper back since it is not nearly as supported as my low back. I know a lot of stores sell fancy wedges, but I'm not sure that would be any better than what I'm doing now.

Has anyone found a good way to prop up on the couch or bed??

• Howdy Lala,

Bed wise at home I have an adjustable (like a hospital bed) TempurPedic. If I want to read in bed, go online or even take a break, I adjust my head portion until I've taken as much pressure off my whole spine as I can. At times I also elevate my feet.

When my hubby and I are on the road in our RV, I have two memory foam wedge pillows to compliment my memory foam mattress I put in to replace the fabric and spring standard RV mattress. I'm thinking of getting another wedge for those days I need more elevating of my head or feet. I've also used the wedge on the couch in the RV - comfy.

No couches at home anymore, bought Lazy Boyz for both myself and the hubby - much more relaxing for both, and he isn't a spiney.

I hate to say it, but I'm sure most on here are similar. Sitting, I adjust as necessary to take the hurt out, blast posture when I hurt - my body tells me what I need. I know, sounds bad huh?

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I am 1 day shy of being 4 weeks post op from my 3rd fusion...and after a lifetime of spine issues, I am learning something new regularly...
    My first week home from hospital, I was propped as always on my pile of wonderful down pillows on my awesome bed... However, I was miserable and woke up hourly crying in pain... I decided I wanted a body pillow. A good one... So, my bff drove me to The Relax The Back Store, where I was determined to buy a $200 body pillow... I was in agony by the time I hobbled into the store, they got my pillow and cover, which I tried and loved...BUT then, they suggested I try the Wedge system... It is sold as separate pieces or together... One wedge is for legs and one is for back...both are adjustable and OMGeeeee, I was in shock... It allows for the zero gravity positioning which removes stress from spine... The set was $230 and I bought that too...furthermore, the stuck a cervical pillow (sold separate) on the back wedge, and then removed that and gave me the TEMPUR Cloud pillow to try as well... I also bought 3 of those pillows too. I had initially scoffed at the wedge pillows, but I have been using them 24/7... Just after the first night on the wedges, I felt as if my healing increased by a month... I felt like an idiot for all of the suffering I have done pre-wedges... After ALL the surgeries, pain management, I was shocked that they were never suggested to me...they make THAT much of a difference... I work from bed also, so, you can see my new obsession... I will likely start using my body pillow for sleep in a few more weeks and wedges in the day... All I know, is that they have radically improved my comfort!
  • afford it ..an electrical adjustable bed would be your best option .you can also lay on your side with any pillow in between your knees.you may also want to get yourself a good pillow .i can recommend the tempur millenium queen {in the large size} its not to be confused with all the other memory foam pillows its a strange shape but extremely comfy and it will fit in a standard pillow slip i have one on my recliner and one in my bed .
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
This discussion has been closed.