Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sciatica not showing up on MRI QME is strange

BaCk2LyFeBBaCk2LyFe Posts: 3
HEllo forum folks I am very frustrated with whats going on and i hope that i can recieve help from some of the people that has knowledge. I hurt my back at work and had sciatica twitching went to the emergency room and was diagnosed with an annular disc tear at the L-5, S-1 area. It has been two years since then and the insurance company ordered another MRI and now a doctor says that he doesnt see an annular tear at the L-5 S-1 area. My question is that is there a chance that the MRI didnt get the the vision of the tear. My legs go numb and i was hoping to have surgery and now the Dr. says he doesnt see anything and i was lying down on the MRI. I dont understand .. Do annular tears heal on their own. If there wasnt anything wrong with the disc then why is my legs still numb and twitching with sciatica.

• BaCk2LyFe,
    Though the blood supply to the anulus is poor, there are cases in which it does heal. Sciatica is irritation of the sciatic nerve usually as it leaves the lumbar plexus, but it can be anywhere along its length. It's not all that uncommon for persons with sciatica to not have a problem with the disc components of the spine.
  • Hi

Have they done a emg study of your leg to see if there is a nerve compression? If so how long ago and if it was a while ago, ask for a new one, maybe that will shed some light. A MRI is not the tell all of testing. There are other imaging studies that might yield a different result.
  • :''( I have a couple of questions about who is handling your care. Is it work comp? Do you have a primary DR? are you still working? I have had the bad luck of dealing with QME for years. I think i can help you with some ways of dealing with this and your back problems. I have had two back surgerys in the last 10 years and on going treatment for chronic pain. I hope I can assist you