Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Going back to work 15 weeks post-op with bone growth starting!

dkbensddkbens Posts: 18
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I finally had my 3 month follow up after having to be postponed due to weather. NS sees some evidence of bone growth on x-ray!!!! Had ALIF/PLIF (360 fusion) L4-S1. Cleared to go back to work so I'll be starting tomorrow. A little nervous. I sure don't want any setbacks. On my feet most of the day as I work at a hospital and do patient care. Any suggestions on making the transition easier? Thanks and God Bless.

• wow that is so awesome! .....let us know how it all goes!....don't over do it
  • Good luck! Hope it all goes well. Just make sure you ask for help if you have to lift/move patients! Let us know how it goes. I'm curious to see how you feel because I too work in a hospital in CCU and am anxious to get to work!
  • I am so happy for you. That is awesome news. Praise God!

Also glad to hear you can return back to work. Please take it easy.

Many blessings!

• thats fantastic news that bone growth is showing, and you have clearance for work

i would be very carefull though, remember you shouldnt be twisting, bending, lifting, please take it carefully as it takes some time for a full fusion to finalize
    good luck and best wishes, great to see a good outcome
  • Thanks for all the encouragement! I went 2 days this week both for about 5 1/2 hours each. Back a little sore after day one but had leg cramps and pain in my right hip. Don't know what that is from. Day 2 a little harder - but I also saw more patients (I'm a Speech Pathologist). Just can't believe how tired I am. Hopefully next week will be better
  • Hi eveyone. I went in for my 3 month post op with the nuero surgeon last week on Tuesday March 8th.

What was weird is I had been working 1/2 days and trying to increase my hours slowly. Management called Monday night and asked I stay home until they received another certification from the doctor. Not to worry about getting paid they just wanted me well. My nuero said go back to work no need for pain meds, no p.t. no restrictions. Why would he answer what for when I asked about physcial therapy??

I haven't return to work yet. Corporate is waiting on my pain management doctor complete the certification for my return to work.

Praise God, thru His Grace I have been able to start taking celebrex and fish oil like 3 capsules three times a day. Also, reduced the oxycontin to one pill instead of two and oxycodone from 4 to 2 sometime three.

Not sure what corporate wants from me. I need to go back to work since I am running out of sick leave at 100%. Now corporate says well you have 48 hours left. If you return to work on Wednesday of next week I can apply 8 hours of vacation.

Weird...I am feeling better but am having trouble going to sleep and staying asleep. It was a good decision to have the fusion, decompression, etc..

I have questions. Can we lay on our stomach? Can I bend now. He said no restrictions. Can my husband and I be intimate now? My hubby loves to place all his weight on my back and this scares me.

I have terrible spasms on my left side lower back do I just apply ice??

Any suggestions will help.

Love you all. And I thank each and everyone for your help thru all this ordeal. Oh yea I don't have to ever return back to my Nuero???

• I guess it is time to move on. Praise God that I know go back to your maker when I need to know something.
    After all He did create me and is the only one who can help.

Be still and know that I am God!

Take care and God be with all. I don't think I could have done this without any of you all. :)