Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Medications for pain from sacroiliac joint issues

smartenssmarten Posts: 8
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Sacroiliac (SI) Joint Problems
One of Spine-health's forum users posted a question about medications for SI Joint related issues:

"What kind of medicines work best for sacroiliac joint dysfunction – something to block the pain, like Tylenol or an anti-inflammatory?"

• My PM doc suggested taking an NSAID, whichever works best for you, along with a pain killer.

• I am on Flurbiprofen, an NSAID, and I also take other meds for pain. Unfortunately, when my SI joints are really flared up, a course of prednisone works best OR a set of trigger point injections with lidocaine or marcaine. Unfortunately, the TrP injections don't have a very long lasting effect, but at least they give some relief.

When I have rhizotomies done, my N/S does my lower lumbar spine, down to S1 and does steroid injections into the SI joints. That is definitely when I get my very best results.

For interest's sake, at one point I was diagnosed with SIJ dysfunction, but I don't know if it's that, sacroiliitis or just the spondyloarthritis doing its "thing".

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    This is hard for me to isolate, because due to other spinal/shoulder problems I am still on Opana 5mg, Neurontin 1200mg and Baclofen 4mg. So this is keeping some of my pain/discomfort from the SI in control.

Like Tracy indicated, when the flare up really gets bad and lingers, a couple of sessions of Trigger Point injections help, place the more frequent use of Lidoderm patches.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I don't have SI problems, thank goodness, but I know that TTLC has found some great information and relief for her serious SI situation. I'm hoping that she pops on and make a contribution here.

I also want to second Ron's use of Lidoderm patches. I use them for my lower back when having a flare and find them to be very helpful with my problems and can assume that they'd also help with SI problems.

• Do they ever recomend scs for si issue also or only for other issues? Thanks. Alex.
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Well You can get a Cortisone Shot for it like I am on the 22nd

Am taking Naproxen for Arthritic Knees & it was doing Nothing for My SI Joint Pain
  • Si joint dysfunction
    Lidocaine patches didn't help wit my pain at all.
    I also have had many injections which don't seem to last.
    I am on percocets with fentanyl pain patch. It helps but doesn't take away all the pain.
    everyone is different with medicine. Doctors have to try different meds for pain. Its like a mechanic trial and error.
  • Metaxalone a muscle relaxant helps during my flairups. Increasing narcotics doesn't seem to do much. Neurontin helps a little too. Chiropractors sometimes help if you can have adjustments. I have a farm and my animals have to be cared for, so I take the least I can. The thermacare heat wraps help if you just have to work, and lots of ice packs while at home. Hot tubs sometimes can help too. Its never one big thing, more like a series things that each provide a little relief. I hope you find what works for you.