Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

To Go For It?

pascoflguyppascoflguy Posts: 18
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have Deg. disc disease, 18 discs gone so far. I am 45 y/o. Back went out 3 weeks ago, haven't been able to walk since then. Had my injection/RFA, my pain guy sent me for and xray right after, then sent me for an ASAP MRI. Pretty scared. Have to meet with a neuro guy next week, have seen him before. He wants to put the cage and porous discs in on at least 3 levels. I am scared to death, nervous as all hell having to make this decision! Does ANYONE out here have an encouraging story for me? My MRI read is very dismal, and at 45, am not sure which way I want to go with this. I though the decision would be easier, but after all of the reading I have done online about what the surgery actually entails, I am having second, third and fouth thoughts! Anything would help! Thanks!


  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    You haven't mentioned what type of pain medications you are on or have tried .... and your current level of pain, and or loss of function or sensation.

    For me. the decision to have surgeries was as a direct result of:

    1. The inability to control my pain with any conventional modalites.

    2. The threat/fear of additional damage to my nerves
    and cord due to osteophytes, foraminal stenosis, and myelopathy.

    3. The incresing loss of motor function as well as radiculopathy in the peripheral limbs.

    For me these were the deciding factors (still are)

    Best regards and good luck with your choices!

    Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

  • I will make this short and not so sweet. There comes a point and time where the back pain totally takes over your life. You just can't take it anymore! That is when I finally decided, I can either live with this horrible pain or I can try to do something about it. That is when I decided to have my first of four back surgeries. Am I any better than I was to begin with? In some ways yes! in some ways no! But I did what I thought and what my Doctors thought would be best for my condition each time. You and only you can decide what route that you wish to take. Can you live with the pain? Is it getting worse? Are the pain meds helping enough? Have you had a second opinion? Have you see a pain management specialist? What does your family Doctor think? Finally and most important where are you at with your pain and what do you think is best for you. It is your body and ultimately your decision. I hope the best for you, good luck in your decision.
Sign In or Register to comment.