Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New frustrated and looking for a way out...or just some advice.

jberrethjjberreth Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in New Member Introductions
Wanted to introduce myself...I am Jim, I am 29 and I am a chronic back pain sufferer.
I have had major to moderate pain for 8 years. Initially, I went to a chiro for my pain and that seemed to help until about 3 years ago. Since that time I have tried just about everything. From steroid injections, PT, every med you can think of (ie. prednisone, EVERY nsaid, a few narcotics, muscle relaxers, so on and so forth) more chiro, massage and a few things I probably forgot, I have done everything my doctors can think of. Last summer I went ahead and saw a orthopedic surgeon. He sent me to have a discogram. The results were conclusive and I was scheduled to have the surgery on 6/09/2010. I came through the surgery fine but to date I am still in more pain than I was previous to the surgery. I started PT, yet again about a month in a half ago and have yet to see any signs of improvement. Last week I had another MRI done and the findings showed a disc protrusion at L4/L5 and at L3/L4 along with spinal stenosis at the same area. I was diagnosed and this MRI reconfirmed that I have DDD at L5, L4 and L3. Daily I am in a large amount of pain ranging from a 3-4 in the am to a 7-8 in the pm. Just as a side note, I have also had two kidney stones...those were a 10 on the pain scale and my back surgery was a 9 just to give you an idea of how my pain scale works.
So, here I am, day in and day out in chronic pain. I feel as though I have done everything my doctors have suggested and yet I can get no relief. The meds I am currently taking are; oxycontin 20mg 1x/day, advil 800 mg as needed, and a couple more for unrelated issues. The oxycontin I am on is a minimal does and I feel as though my doctor won't up the dosage because he feels that my "condition" doesn't warrant it or because I am almost 9 months removed from my surgery my condition should have improved. And I agree, yet it hasn't! On top of the pain in my back I have radiating pain into both legs with numbness and tingling in both feet.
I used to be a very good athlete but now due to the pain I am limited on what I can do. Rarely can I pick my kids up and most of the time any rigirous work that needs to be done around the house needs to be done by my wife or a friend.
This whole thing has gotten out of control and taken a lot away from me and my life! It needs to stop and I need help figuring out how.

• Additionaly, the surgery I had was a fusion at L5/S1.
  • Dam sorry to here what your going through.
    I can totally relate, I had L4-5 S-1 fused back in 2003. Now I'm not try'in to scare ya or anything.
    But 90% of the people that go through these fusions feel the same way. Your life will never be the same.
    It sucks big time but it's the truth.
    Do you have a pain management Dr or does your Ortho write up your med's ?
    If it's your Ortho still............ ask him about seeing a pain management Dr...they know way more about dosing and are normally more willing to adjust your med's until they find what works best for ya.
    9 Months is not enough time to heal for a lot of people.......hell it took my fusion 14 months to take hold.......... and then I still hurt like hell .
    It sucks to say but I still can't do anything active and it flat out sucks !
    Lots of really cool people around here, I wish you well. I hope you find some answers.
    Break'ah leg.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry your surgery was not successful and you are still in alot of pain.. you must be more than disappointed about that! you have come to a great place to make new friends and being around others who feel as you do may make you feel alittle better!! have a good look around and make yourself at home. good luck to you. Jenny :)