Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Exhaustion....fusing is hard work!

tracibennttracibenn Posts: 95
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I have never been so chronically exhausted in my life as I have been in the last 4 weeks. The first two weeks I can understand...even the third week. I'm going on post op week 4 and I still struggle daily with exhaustion!!! I have a spurt of energy usually between 3-5pm, but before and after that I'm nearly down for the count. Is this considered normal? I had a 2 week postop check up and dont go back till the end of April, and I really don't want to call and ask the dr if this is normal. Hopefully you will help. Maybe I should call my family doc and ask him? Could it be something outta whack?

Thanks for listening!!!

• i had my 3rd fusion on 1/25/11 and tomorrow begins my 5th week...
    i am also struggling with exhaustion- and still plenty of pain...(i am improving)
    even though i have had 6 spine surgeries- and this was my 3rd big fusion surgery- i am STILL astonished by the magnitude of the aftermath that is post-op... it is very normal... what i have to remember is that fusion is NOT normal, common, minor or easy... it is major major surgery- and the spine is the FRAME for my entire body! i am fortunate to be self employed and work from home. from my bed- on my laptop... when i had the last two fusions i was 10 years younger and also in the same line of work/ same business- but i had an office that was 150 mile round trip commute- i only went 3 days a week- but, WOW, thank goodness for the advances in technology that has allowed me to work from bed...
    i live in a rural area- so NOTHING is close...but even a trip in the car to the Starbucks drive through and say, going into the grocery store for less than 10 items wears me out- and my pain elevates by the time i get home... i am a DO-er, despite my disability- i am considered a "super woman"- it drives me nuts to feel to limited... but it does improve... it is just a very very very slow process!
  • Duplicate thread

Please note that this is a duplicate thread. Please post responses to the link above so that all replies to the OP can be kept together and avoid confusion.

Normally all but one of the duplicates would be deleted, however there are already respondents in both threads.

• Hi; it's amazing how much surgery can effect our bodies.
    I dont know if's it physical or mental, probably a combination of both, but it sure takes an effect on the body.
    Then during the healing process, you start getting exhausted just from the boredom, due to your restrictions.

Comes down to this is a long road to recovery, and we all need to find a way of dealing with it, and trying to keep our minds active.

Best of luck, and you are not alone.