Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C2/3 Question to fellow C2/3 Spineys. Thanks!!

Aviatrix36440Aviatrix36440 Posts: 5,904
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Howdy guys,

For over a year I've have most of my neck from the bottom of the chin to just above the top of the sternum, wrap around to the back of my neck (mostly left sided) numb. I know that is from my C3 nerve root, okay, no problem with that. It sort of felt like I was wearing a turtleneck or a snug scarf.

Here is my question. Those of you that have similar symptoms, has yours changed such that be it head position, or when laying down, it feels like someone is putting pressure (like fingers around it) half way down your trachea? I feel it most if my head is slightly down, or turned left or right, and when I lay down - mind you not painful, but very noticeable and annoying at times. I'm too far out of surgery for it to be new scar tissue.

I do have a history of movement in that area, so the other thought I had it might be it is moving more - but my voice though still crappy at times, and still with constant choke outs, have not appreciably changed. I will bring it up to my Neurologist Friday, but thought I'd toss it out here. Thanks in advance for your thoughts. :?

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.

• Brenda,

I can tell you I have been having some serious issues the past week with something close to that. But this is getting very painful now. I visited with my primary today and he can feel there is something not right and is ordering up a Ct scan to look specifically at the soft tissue of the neck. As I told him I don't want to assume it is my spine or is incisional related while it could be any number of things going on. So now i await a Ct scan to see what it is. The pain is not constant and comes and goes but there is definitely the beginnings of more swallowing issues coming on and signs of my voice going again. So he told me for now to begin back on my steroid inhaler. But hopefully I have a answer by weeks end as to what it is.
  • Howdy Ms Tamtam,

I have a list of "diagnostic wish list" for my Neurologist, and due to my crack, and this new change, it is on the top of the list!! I've had pain there, but umm..fleeting? Like a zing, and gone, so for the most part I've been with no pain, just really getting annoying. I have awoken violently choking out when I turn my head wrong, and as I wake, that is the first thing I feel - the 'fingers' on my trachea!

I sort of know where level wise the vocal cords are, but I think this is a tad below that. Basically about where a mans Adams apple is - or right near there. I think that is why I sort of thought my C6 crack movement could be it, but my logical brain says there is something more to it.

I have this symptom on my list for my appointment Friday, and if I get some answers I'll pass them on. My hubby has also noticed that when I talk, I tend to guard the center of my throat as if to prevent a choke out, or preserve enough voice to talk. Since I haven't been working anymore, my voice has been more stable. Today I yelled to him that he had a call, and my voice wouldn't "yell", funky. If I keep my head straight, the voice behaves, other positions, choke or crappy - and the fingers are there.

I know my Neurologist can't give me a "this is what it is" right out of the box without imaging, but he is pretty good about giving the "could bes - but let's see what the xx image says..." I'll let ya know. Thanks Tamtam, sorry you're getting something similar. I have a feeling for me it is my spine as I've had issue at that level (MRI wise) since 2002. Fingers crossed that yours is more simple to address. I've been putting off C2/3 since then, maybe it it vying for attention now. Pooh! (G)

• Tamtam,

I am still up, but for a good reason for a change? I think I discovered something interesting while playing with my iPod of all things! If I try to sing (forget the dropped tune levels for my vocal cords that are bowed and fat), but this....

If I try to sing 'regular', I constantly choke out, and feel that thumb or finger on the center of my throat. Here we go... I hold my thumb or finger against (not hard mind you) on the left side of my throat, I can sing (no vocals haven't changed) without choking out!!! What the heck does that mean? I've played with about 8 different songs, and the same thing. When I've had choke outs, I do this, and it calms. How weird is that?

I got bumped as you know for my Neurologist appointment, so no answers yet. Have you found out about the phantom finger/thumb feeling yet? Anyways, off to bed in a bit, but wanted to share. I guess my vertebra or hardware is still the issue, but still curious about the ghost thumb/finger on my dang throat!!!

• Brenda, sorry that your appt got pushed back. And yes, Tamtam...what happened with your ct scan. Curious how your doing.