Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

clotting factors prohibiting surgery?

deann23ddeann23 Posts: 9
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Has anyone ever had blood problems prohibiting surgery?

• Hiya, I have never had that kinda problem, but i do know when people have hips done , they give an injection the night before the operation to help the blood clot through surgery!

Angie x
  • My surgery was delayed a week due to very low platelets. The surgeon was concerned of bleeding out during surgery, so they gave me a week of steriods to up my platelet count. Are you at risk of clotting or bleeding?
  • In my experience, I find that some of these back surgeries can be quite bloody. My first L5-S1 fusion was, and I ended up requiring a transfusion. Now to be fair, the surgery was 11 hours long, so you can expect there to be a lot of blood loss in that length of time. Anyhow, that fusion has failed and I'm in the process of getting a revision surgery going. My new doc (I fired the first one) is concerned about blood loss and has had me undergo an in-depth hematological work up. They just called me back from that and said that there were no clotting or other blood issues. I'm happy about that, but just saying..these can be serious surgeries and any blood issues must be ironed out before the procedure...best of luck to ya!
  • yes, my PT is 15.8 and INR is 1.27. my surgeon is saying that he is not confident enough to do my surgery. like what in the world. my hemotologist said that these were not significant enough to be of concern but obviously my surgeon thinks otherwise. I just cant deal with this back pain (ruptured herniated disc). and Im scared that I will have nerve damage or something...
  • Your surgeon and anesthesiologist have to make the ultimate decision about your clotting issues when preparing for surgery. Your hematologist does not have to deal with the blood loss in the operating room.

Are you taking medications that has caused your PT to be 15.8?

• Not sure, when i had those blood tests, I had just stopped taking NSAIDS maybe a week or so before- so i'm wondering if that was still in my system. I just took more tests today so im PRAYING that maybe that was it..
  • I had to get approval from my hemotologist before my surgeon would so my surgery. The hemo said that if it wasn't for the surgery, he wouldn't have treated my low platelets. My surgeon just wanted to be confident that I wouldn't have any bleeding issues. That could be the case for you too. Just being cautious.
  • your surgical team is the one that has to live with the decision and while your hemotologist may say insignificant, they do not fully understand the surgery.

As for blood thinners - medications can thin blood (yes, prescription like Cumadin ?sp and NSAIDS) but other things can attribute. Before my last back surgery I was told to stop many things including my multi-vitamin, any herbal teas or supplements, and to stop eating garlic. There are many natural substances that are blood thinners and they told me just to be safe, keep away.

Rescheduling your surgery by a few weeks shouldn't be a cause for concern on damage. Focus on getting a new date and figuring out what meds you can take to get those counts within comfortable range.
  • Post Deleted - Solicitation at Spine-Health is never permitted

Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Administrator 07/07/11