Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone taking Opana

jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Chronic Pain
I am on my third day of taking opana and I am not happy with the results. I feel as if I only took aspirin. I am getting no relief at all. This being my first time taking a ER med does it take a while to build up in your system before you see results? The doctor told me to call him in 10 days if it is not working well for me but I dont know if Ill make it 10 days. I feel as if I have taken nothing. I am allowed 1 oxy per day for break through pain but it is not working out at all. Should I call the doc now or do I need to wait

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,836
    I have had both the ER version and the normal one.
    Right now, I am on Opana 5mg PRN.

When I was using the ER version, it was twice a day (15mg) and the other Opana for breakthrough.

I have found Opana to be easier on my stomach and it also provided me with the same relief as Oxycontin (ER)
    and Oxycodone (IR)
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I have been using Opana ER for almost four months. I started at one 20mg ER twice a day. I did this for two months, it barely worked so my PM Doc upped it to one 40mg ER twice a day. It works very well. The pain relief is better than anything I have used to this point. For me it took about a week to get steady relief. I do not use any breakthrough meds.

God Bless,
  • any opiate that is time release will not make you feel high. little bits of meds get into your system and released at a steady rate. also, narcotics will work so that you get used to them after a while and that is why people will take more because they won't feel the effects after a while. don't take more if you feel it is not working. it is working, but your body is getting used to it. i can't take morphine due to bad dreams so i take oxy. it is like taking aspirin also only because like i said, my body is used to it but it still works. if it is not working discuss with pain dr and maybe you need something for breakthrough pain. that is the problem with narcotics, people will take more because they don't think it is working when in fact it is. i repeat, never take more than the dr prescribes. also narcotics don't get rid of pain 100% that is not the way they work. you can up your dose by 1000% and still not feel it. like i said, see your dr if it is not working or you think it is not working
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
This discussion has been closed.