Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Immune to pain meds?

ohmybackoohmyback Posts: 39
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Alternative Treatments
I am 9 days post op from my L3-L5 fusion, and I am doing better than most my docs patients, he says anyways. I am not in terrible pain, but I am not at all flexible, and my hips are really starting to hurt from lying on my side. I CAN'T lay on my back...it hurts badly.

Anyways, onto my question...My doc put me on Norco 10's that are doing no good. not only that, I don't get nauseous, loopy or anything. It's like they are sugar pills. He told me I could become immune but I haven't taken THAT many of them. Maybe 1-125 in my whole life. He gave me Loritab instead but I think that is essentially the same medicine. Has anyone else experienced this? What are your suggestions? I don't need a ton of pain relief but a little would help.

• I don't have the problem you are describing, but have been told that some people don't get much relief from Norco. I would suggest contacting your doctor for a different prescription if the Loritab isn't helpful.

• I had the same problem with Norco. I could take all I want but no help. You do need to take them pretty regular at first to let them build in your system. I don't know how often you take them but taking one every now and then lets your pain get out of control. I had to lay on my side too and a body pillow does wonders for comfort. Good luck to you.
    Live one day at a time and do it with no regrets. I hold my head up high with pride to the fact that i wont let my injury beat me.
    Lumbar surgery 2009
    Cervical fusion C4 to C7 2009
    Neurostimulator 2010
    Heart ablation 2011
    Lumbar fusion L4 to S1 2012 and now L1 2 3 and 4 are split and bulging.
  • I know that when they wanted to switch me from vicoprophen to percocet I got No relief whatsoever. They ended up doubling my dose (to 10mg) and still it did nothing so I went back to vicoprophen, which for me at least gives some relief.

Weird thing time- my brother and mother are the same way with percocet... they don't work for any of us...and after 10mg... we all throw up! (shrug) not sure if that's immune or not, but we do seem to have a family issue of it not working for us.