Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lumbar back issues out of no where

dax0007ddax0007 Posts: 66
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Spinal Stenosis
Hello Everyone, If anyone can give me insight I would be really appricative.. I am scared out of my mind.. Not sure what to do... LONG STORY SHORT:
I bought a pair of those new Sketcher " Shape-up ' shoes.. I wore then for 1-2 weeks and LOVED them, but then started to have mild low back pain.. At first I thought " Ok stop wearing these shoes" So i bought NEW SHOES and the low back pain would not stop.. It is mild in nature but presistent and is worse in the morning.. After 1 month of this pain i decided to get a MRI.. Here are my results:

L1-L2 - No significant ventral extradural defects. The facets and neural foramina are within normal limits. No edvidence of central or foraminal stenosis.

L2-L3 - No significant ventral extradural defects. The facets and neural foramina are within normal limits. No edvidence of central or foraminal stenosis.

L3-L4 - A broad-based disc herniation is seen. There is also bilateral facet and ligamentous hypertrophy.
There is moderate bilateral neuroforaminal narrowing and mild central canal stenosis.

L4-L5 - A broad-based disc herniation is seen. There is also bilateral facet and ligamentous hypertrophy.
There is moderate bilateral neuroforaminal narrowing and moderate central canal stenosis.

L5-S1 - A central herniation slightly indents the ventral aspect of the thecal sac causing central canal stenosis.

Findings:- Verebral body alignment is anatomic. There is intervertebral disc space narrowing at L3-l4 thru l5-s1 with endplate reactive changes and disc desiccation. No compression fracture is identified. The conus ends normally at its expected location.

I have POSTED MY MRI on youtube if any "techie's" would comment that would be great or PM me..

I have always been active and worked out.. I have never had any lower back issues other than lttle stiffness. This all started after i used those SHAPE UP SHOES.. I have neck issues which were a mess a year or so ago after a car accident but never back problems...

3 HERNIATED DISC has to mean fusion is right around the corner..

.. I will see a NEURO at end of March.

WILL THIS GET BETTER??? The pain is NOT horrible but i have it everyday. its like mild but constant low back pain. i am afraid to do much of anything.. . I dont need SHOTS for it yet, but i guess it may hit me anyday .. SHOULD I BE EXERCISING?? Sometime times it helps.. Amazing how u can wake up one day and your body just changed.. i am trying to contribute these backissues to something but cant recall hurting myself.. thanks

• Welcome to Spine-Health. You'll find a wealth of information here and I urge you to use the search function at the top of the page to see what SH has to say about the wording in your MRI.

None of us here are capable or even allowed to interpret MRIs, but I can say I like to see the word mild interspersed throughout your report.

Nothing you read on your MRI makes surgery imperative. It's only part of the bigger picture, part of the puzzle of what's going on. The real deal comes when you see your doctor and he/she looks at the films and then you have your consult.

The fact that you're having low pain levels is a good sign and my guess is that you'll be prescribed PT from the get go. Most of us are unless there's an obvious spinal cord impingement (not the sac, the cord itself).

So hang in there and don't panic. It's been said here many times that we shouldn't be allowed to read our reports before we see our doctors - it only makes us panic and put bad thoughts in our heads when it's quite possible that everything can be taken care of with conservative measures.

By the way, I've heard that those "Shape-up" shoes really aren't good for our backs like they're advertised and it's beginning to hit the media that what they're touting isn't true. Maybe for some, but not for eveyone.

As for exercising, if I were you I'd take it easy until I see my doctor. You don't want to exacerbate any current problems by doing the wrong exercise and you don't know which exercise could make things better or worse at this point. Certainly I'm not saying to lay in bed all day, just watch what you do with bending, twisting and lifting until you see your doctor and get a definitive diagnosis and plan of action.

Take care and again, welcome to SH.

PS: As for wondering where this came from is sometimes a guessing game. In May of 2008 I started having severe pain in the middle of my upper back and long story short, had severe cervical problems that required surgery. I hadn't done anything, didn't hear any popping, just that back pain - but as time went by my doctors and I figured that it all began with a major car accident I was in 30 years previous and my spine had been degerating since then until it finally couldn't take it any more in 2008. Then it let me now in a big way.
  • Hello Cath.

Thx for taking the time to read through my distressed mess:o(... I agree i am panicing.. Hearing u had a car accident 30+ years ago that started your DDD then you had symtoms could easily put me in that catagory. I played college football so I wont even try and pick a time when i could have felt a "ouch"...

I do have cervial issues too, but decided to focus on my lower back since this is whats freaking me out,. 2 years ago after a car accident i was diagnoised with 2 or 3 herniated disc in my neck and some moderate stenosis.. If i tried put any pressure on my neck i get arm/burning pain.. I accepted it and was working out around my neck(doing exercise that dont mess withmy neck), BUT THIS BACK issue is a different animal cause its hard to work around it..

THANKS SO MUCH for the info