Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New to the Forum

SpondytooSSpondytoo Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi Everyone,

I'm so glad I found this place. I have been suffering with back pain my whole life, but the past 2 years it's gotten progressively worse.

I saw a neurologist and after doing an MRI, he found out I have spondylolisthesis. It was a relief to find out this is a common back problem.

My questions are these:

1) Has anyone out there had spinal fusion for this?
2) Was it successful for you?
3) How long was the recovery period and was it hard to NOT get hooked on painkillers? (I realize everyone's tolerance of pain is different, but very curious about that)

Condition: Spondylolisthese
Medications: Vicodin and muscle relaxants
Diagnostic Tests: X-Rays and MRI
Prior Surgeries: None, new and scared about this
Upcoming Surgery: (Possible) L4-L5 Spinal fusion and removal of bone spurs for sciatica relief
Current Medical Problem: I have trouble standing for longer than 5 minutes. The pain starts in my left foot and radiates up my left leg until it's a red hot pain moving up my leg. I have to sit down before it gets to that point and take pressure off the nerve, otherwise my leg and back aches for hours afterwards.

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    Nice to meet you!
    I don't know answers to most of your questions.. but re' getting hooked on pain relievers... You're right. Everyone is so different.
    I've been on some kind of scheduled opiate type med for at least two years now...so I may be relatively new at it.
    Doc has had to change my sceduled pain meds couple of time because the breakthrough pain was just so constant.
    I have the same concern...and I don't know if this is right or wrong or indifferent.. but I take my schedule opiate type pain med as directed 3x/day and try to accept certain level of pain. It never relieves my pain, but usually takes the edge off.
    I take my breakthrough meds if I try to have a life..:).. and want to be more highly functioning when with family, etc.
    I never feel a high. And much of my caution comes from not wanting to have med become ineffective, since I..probably..have many years ahead of me to deal with this chronic pain.
    I had to stop working, because of severe pain. I didn't like working on all the meds.. and really don't like driving on them.
    So I do have the "luxury" of being home..and I live alone.. and having pain somewhat controlled, with a certain amount of moaning throughout my day. :)
    You've come to the right place for support and information. Good luck to you and keep in touch! :)
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. so glad you dropped by! i just want to say hello and have a good look around the different forums and make yourself at home..i use pain medications as well and could not make it through a day without them.. they have improved the quality of my life so much!!! my body may be dependent on them but i take them as directed and under a doctor's care... i look forward to reading your posts.. good luck! Jenny :)