Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I forgot

sharryb1ssharryb1 Posts: 51
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Depression and Coping
I forgot that nasty long word...PROGRESSIVE....for all most a year! That was nice! I mean it, it was really really nice! No real pain for about a year! They told me about 5 years ago that my condition was progressive,a degenerative process. At the ripe old age of 47 I actually had a doctor tell me that I was old (NO KIDDING!) and that people my age.....in my field of work....(nursing,about 30yrs all areas)and get this!! I even worked with spinal cord and head injuries and post-op orthoedics! YOU would think that I would have a better understanding of what is going on with me. My body does,and I know my head knows,so why am I having such a hard time accepting it. darn I can't type for crap. Thats supp0se,..(ya see)to be orthopedics. I feel so frustrated can't type can't seem to come to terms

• how can a person feel so young on one hand and so old on the other?
  • Ha-I do it every day...
    It is what it is, but we don't *have* to accept it..some days I do, some days I don't, and that is O K. :)))
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    I was also in nusrsing, 70's 'til 2006. Especially when I was younger, it was amazing how many pounds I was able to lift. I too worked ortho for about 5 of those years. All of nursing in ortho was lifting and repositioning people.
    I don't know who does it now, but, back in the day, we did all the setting up of the traction bars... weights...whatever.
    Maybe not always "heavy", but awkward positioning for our bodies to get things set up correctly...and of course, constantly bending for patient care or moving those dang weights around. :)
    For me, it is true...I don't care what my background, talk to me like a patient...not a nurse.
    When I first started "deteriating".. :) I was like.. "Okay, today's a good day." and I'd lift and do whatever...and sorely pay the price...until finally doc said, "I don't care how you feel..stop lifting, bending, twisting, etc.."
    In my head, I'm still 19 and able to jump up on the kitchen counter to chat with my friends. :)
    Now, with caregiving in our background, who better to take care of yourself with the compassion you showed to others? Anyway,that's what I tell myself... most everyday. :) Take care! :)
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• don't care what my back ground is,talk to me like a patient...a person! I remember when I thought 47 was young, and I thought that I'd be golfing at the ripe old age of 60! I haven't even hit 55 yet!HA! HA!
    Slowly comming to terms...It is kinda nice not having to get up at 4 am to get ready for work,and I really don't miss graveyard!!! Even though I do miss working sometimes. Sometimes it feels kinda lonely.
    Cuz most of my friends still work.
  • I have never had my Dr. tell me that my condition was progressive. He did tell me that my condition was chronic. I guess they are a lot alike! Sound like neither one of us are going to get any better. That stinks! Lets hope that our Doctors don't know what they are talking about. They never say that I am old either! They just say "At your age" like I don't know what they are trying to say.
  • your to funny! Yes! Lets hope they don't know what they are talking about!!!