Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sleepy Bowels

tracibennttracibenn Posts: 95
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I think my bowels are finally waking up....after 5 1/2 weeks. I know many of you can relate. Its been a long 5 1/2 weeks of bloating, gas, constipation, etc. I have to say I'm quite overjoyed with the progress!!! Maybe now my pregnant looking belly will go down.

• Have you tried pulling on your own finger? That might help with some of the gas and bloating! LOL. I am not a Doctor so you might want to consult with your Doctor about the possibility of permanent finger damage.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Try some Mariani dried apricots from Turkey. They work! And they are very tasty and moist. Unlike the American dried apricots.
    Jim :D
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • My fusion surgery was on the 24th of Feb...and I didn't go for a full week after. Now I am having trouble with the hardest poo on earth, so hard it WILL NOT come out. I am trying everything and getting very frustrated, not to mention the pain and swelling associated with pushing. If you come up with a solution, PLEASE let me know!
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    ohmyback, I let it go that far once. And the only thing that saved me was an enema.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • It took me lots of prune juice and miralax. It was awful!
  • point ohmyback, that you have a large hard mass, you may need manual evacuation

happened to me after a surgery from the painkillers , they were going to send a nurse over to do it

i said, its ok , ill do it myself
  • Hi; I was thinking about asking you what "manual evacuation" was. But never mind. Dont think i wanna know. 8}
  • perhaps you dont =))

• Did the job for me. After my surgery I went 8 days without a bm!
    Still have issues and take a regiment of colace, myralx and citrucel.
    Tried all the natural stuff but nothing!
    But when all else fails and I hit 4-5 days, with no movement, I drink the mag cit and it does the trick. I always keep a bottle in fridge, just in case.
    You can get it at any pharmacy. $2
    Its like draino! The stuff you drink prior to a colinascopy.
    ask your doctor for green light first.
    Drink plenty of water.
  • i was same way 7 weeks after my alif i now eat oatmeal in am and i eat 2 fiber bars a day!.....miralax does wonders tooo
  • omg
    i had a sleepy bowel and sort of still have ... had my S1/L5/4 fusion on 1st March

Had comlications ended up with 2 theatre trips in all 9 hours

now nearly 3 weeks im still having trouble and yes hard and painful and u dont realise how much back muscles you use

i hope it returns to normal soon
    i can symathise with you all

S1/L5/L4 fusion with screws and rods..spine straightened and shaved..... no feeling or movement in left leg aftet surgery.. so back to theatre to remove blood clots from spine nerve ends... movement up to 80% feeling not returned :-(