Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

So I just got the official report...so confused.

nowwhat44nnowwhat44 Posts: 47
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Spinal Stenosis
Sorry for all the new posts. I was just diagnosed with the stenosis yesterday due to arthritis and thickening of the ligament. Scared as hell and even more confused. But I got the copy of the report today to give my PT guy and read it. It says moderate/severe stenosis at L4 and mild above levels with no real issues of compression. I am fused at l5/s1 whicj cause this. But anyway, my pain is not horrible right now. It has been manageable with over the counter drugs for the last couple years since it started. But you would think if its severe, I would be in agony. I'm not, but I am so scared I am going to be soon. Has anyone ever heard of sever stenosis that was not horrbly painful and manageable this way? I know nobody knows the future. Problem for me is I was supposed to move to California this summer to start new life. But how can I do that now, not knowing if I could wake up devastated any day now? Know what I mean? I mean I don't know if this take years to get to that point or if I am just lucky and it won't. I am just venting here. But any take on my odd pain situation is appreciated. Also, if you were me, would you say screw it and move anyway? Ugh..why now god. It's true, bad things always happen to good people, I swear.

• Well, many people have spine problems, even walking around going about their normal lives and don't even know they have anything wrong. Not all people get pain with these issues, and actually a large amount of the population, if given an MRI, would have something show up that they had no idea existed. You may never get pain, so it would be unwise to wait for it every day and put your life on hold for a problem that may never occur. However, you have had a fusion and you did get a "heads up" on the spine issues that you have, so I would say go ahead and live your life, but take care of your Spine. Not to worry so much, just be aware.
  • I would go ahead with your move. But, I would research doctors in California and have them setup with all your records transferred to them. If you need them, then you have them. If you don't then all is good. But if your in pain management now I am supposing your going to need that when you move, so better to have it all set up now. AS Robin said go live your life. You can lie around waiting for the bomb to drop that may never fall. Keep in mind that is one radiologist interpretation of the mri, what did the doctor whom order the film have to say. They may see a different scenario.
  • Hey guys, thanks for responding. I think you are right, unless something has happened preventing me I should still go. Can't go around just waiting for it to hit the fan so to speak. Good idea to get docs lined up ahead of time, will do. I pray I am in that group of people where the pain does not get much worse or too severe. The doc said there was quite a bit of nerve compression, he seemed surprised I was not in more pain. I don't know how to feel about that. He also said after usual conservative treatment, fusion of the L4/L5 would be next option. Ugh. I don't understand why fusion and not lamanectomy only. Ideas? Lucky, but also the "when will the next shoe drop" feeling as well. Crazy thing is before this diagnosis I was going around thinking I had a minor issue or maybe some scar tissue. Didn't think about the pain too much unless it was bad, which was rare. Then, I swear, in the two days that I have found out my pain seems worse. Suddenly i feel it my legs and place I didn't before. It has got to be in my head on some level. Either that or am paying too much attention to ever y little ache or pain, where before I was not. The mind is powerful man..
  • nowwhat. I has ss for many many years ( I would say at least 25+ yrs ) before it became a issue for anything else with my back.

HOWEVER having said that - I will add this. I wish I had taken the SS MUCH more serious then I did and taken better general care of my back. In the long run it has made my back injury worse.

Even the Drs say had I been kinder to my back I may have lasted a lot longer then I did.

Yes, move forward with your life but be kind to your body ;)

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • MsHumpty, I am sorry to read your list of issues. I guess I shouldn't be so self pity when so many others are suffering more than I and still get by in life. I am just afraid because I am only 36 and was JUST getting things going the way I wanted in this life and bam, this. Knocked me back a few steps. The last two days since my "official" diagnosis I have been quite down and depressed. Not so much for how I feel today but what it potentially means for the future. I am sure this is quite normal in the beginning. But on the positive side I have immediately begun a safe exercise program of PT, home exercise based on my PT and I bought a stationary bike. I hear being safely active is one of the best things you can do and I keep reading about biking. I am dedicated to strength training my back and losing like 15 pounds or more. I am not overweight really but every excess pound off the spine helps quite a bit. I worry though that it could make the arthritis worse because overgrown bones and ligaments is causing my stenosis and I fear adding this exercise will put more pressure on the bones to keep growing. Don't even know if that is a real concern but in my mind it is. Trying to keep my head up.
  • Your mind is powerful, and what you are describing is very common..especially with cancer patients, but it can happen with anyone going through any medical or life changes. If we are not careful to fight that and have a strong positive will, this feeling can become overwhelming and hinder our progress, making life not at all what we once thought it was or could be. Some folks think that I live in denial because I don't talk about my health issues and try not to think about them too often, but I am not denying anything. I know my issues/diseases and deal with my care accordingly, while at the same time trying to remain open-minded and positive about things that might help me. I never worry about what might happen, though I do sometimes think about these things..that, I think is human nature.

Right now you are probably hyper aware because you were recently given this new Dx, and I think this is normal, but also, you are fortunate that you have been given sort of a yellow light, warning you to use caution and pamper your spine. This knowledge might help you a lot in that you will know better than to do certain things (four wheeling over ramps,etc,). Some people don't know any better and they do some crazy harsh things that can end up causing them a lot of pain down the road. Others are happy that they went four wheeling and enjoyed life while they could. It's a real balancing act sometimes.

You know your body best though and you have to learn to live with these spine issues in your own way, but I hope that you don't give up the pleasure you might get from simply living only because of what might happen.
      Just dance.