Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C6-7 non union / bridged bone

enough11eenough11 Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I have had 3 cervical fusions already, 03, 04, 05. Now they have found what they call "a cleft wedge at that level". I have lived through hell and back for years not to mention having a spinal cord stimulator implanted back in '06 and have had at least 8-10 surgeries and revisions done. I had it removed completely in 09 since it was causing more pain than the benefit.
I live in pain 24/7, left my job of 15 years that I loved and no longer could do w/pain or the meds. Lost my husband it was part of what destroyed our marriage.
Someone help!!!!

• Hi Enough,

I can certainly sympathize with your plight. There are a few of us that the cervical spine just keeps giving. While it is a gift we don't want. Having my neck operated on 6 times sense 06 and loosing just about everything is no picnic that is for sure. So I completely understand where you are coming from. What have you been doing for pain management? What type of meds are you currently taking. What are they talking about doing for the non-union and is it the pain generator? If they are not sure but just see the non-union, they can use selective nerve root blocks to see?

As far as loosing the job, I can relate. But i didn't loose a job, but rather a career. But to me I am learning all the material things don't replace your health. So I decided to create a plan to help myself the best way possible. Part of that involves keeping a journal of the pain. With that journal I share it with my doctors and we work the best possible treatments for me. It also helps me deal with the pain by writing it down. Do you keep a journal of the pain?

As far as the marriage, sorry that just bites. But marriage is meant to last through sickness and health. So I think possibly your marriage would have ended regardless of your medical condition. But, you know there are more men out there. The important thing is to get to feeling in a better state to deal with the pain. The SCS are not for everyone, although they help many, just some they don't.

Hopefully you have a good working relationship with your doctors and they are coming up with a plan to help you deal with the chronic pain. The one thing I can say about here, is we all understand. If you need to vent or just frustrated we are always here to listen. While we can't fix you, we sure can listen and sympathize with you.

Myself I have been through the revision surgery for a non-union and while it is not fun it is doable. The questions you need to be asking is what will happen if they don't fix it. If surgery is on the table, what type of surgery and what kind of bone grafting and hardware will the be using. When was the surgery that the non union is from? Keep us posted on how you get along and I do hope they get the pain under control. Take care.
  • In regards to meds I live in a fog of Vicodin, Celebrex, Lyrica, Opana, Lexapro, Clonazepam, Tizanidine, Cymbalta, and Flector patches.
    Besides the hell I have gone through with the first fusion back in 2003 the bone graft did not take, so that was redone and another level. So I think most of my frustration is with the neuro that has worked on me for over two years in regards to the SCS revisions, replacements, and removal. How can you have my neck cut open and not see that the "cleft", "non union", "bridged bone" at C 6-7, you were in there right?
    In the mean time I did go to a spine center (Charleston), a neuro/spine ctr (Charlotte) this is while I waited three months to get into Duke. All three are in agreement of the above, the scar tissue that causes so much pain in my neck/shoulders. And the constant pain down my back and butt (where the battery was).
    Then I wonder with the report of wires desinegrated in my neck have anythig to do with this.
    All three of the other doctors feel that it is 50/50 if I have the level redone there is no guarantee to help with the pain, numbness, dizzyness, balance and hell of this body.
    I too did not lose my job, I had to quit a career I worked and struggle up a tall ladder because it is more of a mans field.
    I am getting ready to go to pain mgt now, another months worth of meds. I always end up leaving in tears because I always hope for a "miracle out there" but I get the response "this is your life, and you need to accept the fact you will be in pain the rest of your life and it may even get worse."
    Last week trip in the car 3 hours to see disability attorney waiting on a hearing after 20 mths. Came home ending up calling the er # for my reg doc could not bend or move my neck even the good side. Next day the muscles were so tight and my entire neck was in spasm non stop. Back to wearing a collar for some help.
    Is this how it is going to be? Or is it worth going back to the dr who did the fusions for him to look or just do it.
    This is no way to live I am a prisoner of my home, minimal driving because on my dizzyness, balance and sudden drops in BP. So depressing and what to do and the choices?
  • Sorry to hear all of what you are going through. Me for the cervical, 08 and 09 (carefully skipped 10), ended up with a cracked C6 vertebra. I'm going back through the Neurological circus that see what is needed to do.

Fortunately for me, my hubby reiterated "In sickness and in health" so just passing my 21st, we are still good. So sorry the same did not happen with you.

I know this year I am facing revision, plus a level above all that mess - and NO it isn't fun to even think about, never mind go through! I would stick with my guns (and gut) and not let them wiggle out of making things right with you. Surgeons have pride sure, and fubar'd surgery, they try to talk out of it - don't let them! I am so sorry you have this going on. As I said, mine is a bit different, but the same boat when it comes to getting a surgeon to LOOK at it seriously!! Don't get me wrong, there is a part of me that is very angry, but I don't let that be the surface "lead" as it isn't healthy. I try to keep my sense of humor through all of this - you have too!!!

Please let us know what they say, and how it goes. Gentle support *HUGZ* to you Enough11.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.