Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

lead movement NO!!!!!!

nmacnnmac Posts: 112
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
I had my BS lead trial surgery today. While on the table they could get stim. on my left arm and alittle on my left side neck. While in recovery the rep. couldn't get the stim. on the left at all only on the right. My Physician had me get an xray and sent me home with an appt. to come back tomorrow. I just got a call and she said the lead had moved. ( I only moved from the OR table to the bed.) She gave me to options:
Tomorrow have the leads removed and decide that this isn't the tx. for me due to high complication rate and limited pain control. Or
Have the leads replaced and very carefully proceed by wearing a cervical collar immediately after the surgery. My hubby is very frustrated and left to do some work so He didn't really want to talk about it. (He has many problems lately and fear I am one of them.) She wants to see me either way tomorrow. I did tell her that I didn't really want to give up yet but I am wondering if that is what I need to do. Maybe she will have some other idea. She did say that maybe during my previous surgery that the NS removed a lot of bone, ligament etc making it difficult for the leads to stay in place. Knowing if I find enough relief that I will have to have a Lamy and paddle leads. I feel so frustrated right now. I am also very tired so I am not sure I am being very rational. I think I will call my friend and get her thoughts. Thanks for being here.
Severe DDD. Klippel Feil Deformity. Cervical Foraminatomy that turned into Lamy. I have tried so many treatments, therapy's and medications.

• I don't have a SCS but I would wear the cervical collar and get the re-adjustment but hopefully you won't have any pain and the leads stay in place. Sorry you're going through all this. Best wishes for tomorrow and praying whatever you decide will work out for you. Take care and saying a prayer for you. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Ugh that stinks. I vote for seeing what the doc has to say and if she really thinks it's worth another shot, then ...

• The BS tech tried to make the stimulator work again but it continues to work only on the right and only in my arm. I didn't get to see my PM doc. She had another doc pull the leads. I am going to put a call into her to discuss it further. I am not sure what my options are other than try again. She said on the phone she would try to set up another lead placement before my vacation is over. I don't really know of any other options other than surgery. The OS wasn't sure the intense surgery that he was suggesting would reduce my pain, probably couldn't do my current career and it would take extensive time to recover. He didn't think I was ready for that. It has been about a year since I've seen him. I truly do want to avoid that surgery. My husband said he would support me if I want to try the leads again but of course the decision is up to me. Enough of my ramblings. I am off to shower the gunk off they left in my hair and relax. Thanks for listening.
    Severe DDD. Klippel Feil Deformity. Cervical Foraminatomy that turned into Lamy. I have tried so many treatments, therapy's and medications.
  • I was looking to see if you have an update. Gosh I hope you are able to get it worked out.
  • Yes, I get to have another trial. Tomorrow morning the director of the pain clinic himself is going to do the procedure. He insists I get a cervical soft collar to wear immediately after the procedure. They had appts. set up for me to have the implant for 10 days. I had them changed to 6 days. I need a few days before having to return to work. My 2 week unpaid vacation is turning out to be all medical based. I really hope they can find the sweet spot. Last year during my 1 hour trial of the BS system they were able to get some stim in my lower cervical/thoracic spine and not just my arms. I probably wouldn't subject myself to a Lamy unless they find it. I am not looking forward to the process tomorrow as last time I felt like I couldn't breathe very well in the position they had me placed. I have been nauseous for the last few day due to antibiotic, I think. How are you doing? I am off to buy a collar. I will check back in later today. Sending out positive vibes. Nancy
  • They had me wear a soft collar and stay away from work while doing my cervical trial, mine was 8 days and I was glad it was as it gave me time to sort out things and my back muscles stopped cramping so I could tell what was going on better. I did go back to work the last two days of the trial as I wanted to see exactly what it would be like working with the stim.
    Mine is just over a month short of being in for 2 years now. Some days are good, some days not. Just about like the rest of the population I suspect!
  • Had the implant installed yesterday felt like they hit me in the back with a hammer repeatedly. They actually put in 3 leads in 3 different places on my back. It was pretty brutal toward the end but I made it through. I am feeling a bit better today. 2 of the leads at least work on my affected side. The surgeon said that he was sure that the 3rd one was to left but that one is the one that only works on the right. He thinks things aren't typical due to my previous surgery. I am trying to use the stim. and take notes. so far I am not sure if its good. The rep. called and said it can take a few days to get over the surgery pain to know for sure. Thanks for all of your encouragement and support. Do any of you currently work and have a SCS? I am starting to suffer from some memory and focus problems that are getting in the way of doing my job. I hope SCS can help me reduce my meds and keep my job. My DH has always had some memory and focus problems. He sure points it out when I have the same problem. Got to go, hubby cooking 2night and probably needs some help. Nancy
  • I work fulltime. I think my SCS has helped me to be able to continue to work productively although I continue to use pain medication and muscle relaxers too. The combination of treatment has been the right solution for me to have a more normal life in recent months.
  • I need to hear that! I need to keep my job, for the paycheck, insurance and my sanity. It would be difficult for me to give it up and be home all the time. I am realistic that I will probably need some meds still but at this level I am running into problems. I try to take as little as possible while I work then have more pain when I get home.
    I need a little time to try to get things in shape to move to a smaller home w/o property to deal with and on the bus line. I feel if we had that we would have less stress to deal with, therefore happier and healthier. Off to the stimulator and ice pack.
  • I have been able to go back to work. I work two part time jobs, one is 8 hours a day 4 days a week and one is 1 hour a night 3 nights a week.