Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery Approved, Need Advice

DC42DC42 Posts: 23
Hi, and thanks for reading. I had a l5/s1 microdiscetomy with laminectomy almost two years ago. After surgery the leg pain was gone just numbness left in my leg. After that the pain slowly came back and MRI showed reherniation of S1 compresswing nerve root. It also showed some serious scarring around the nerve root from the previous surgery. Last time after surgery I followed mt physical therapy orders but I was so scared after having back surgery I dont think I stretched enough. This time I would like to stretch more to try and improve how bad the scar tissue forms. The problem is im not sure when is too early after surgery, and the correct stretches to do. I read a lot about keeping the nerve gliding after surgery so it doesnt get choked out, but not sure exactly what that means. Im having the surgery on this coming monday and would appreciate any info,sites,stretches, or just info about your experiences after the 2nd s1 microdiscetomy. Thanks, Dane

• Dane,
    Firstly, I wish you the best of luck with your surgery on Monday.

I am not medically trained, and can only tell you of my experiences and things that I have read.

I have been told, read on here and have found to be true that walking is the most helpful thing that you can do after spinal surgery. Frequent short walks are better than long walks, and walking on flat ground is less stressful to your spine. My physio told me that if I do nothing else, walking is essential.

Having suffered with scar tissue after surgery, you must want to do everything that you can to avoid it again. I believe that some people are more prone to it than others. Again, I believe that walking stretches out the nerves after surgery, making it less likely that scar tissue will attach to them.

I would also ask your surgeon about having physiotherapy after surgery. There are exercises that you can do, and massage can help to break up and/or stop scar tissue from forming.

After my surgery, a very thick part of my scar where I had had an infection and then had over granulation tissue that had to be cauterised with silver nitrate, became very tight and painful if I tried to move in a way that stretched it. With stretches and patience, the scar did stretch and the problem was resolved. I also used Bio Oil which I believe helped to keep the scar flexible. I would massage the oil into the scar, once it was completely healed, twice a day.

My surgery was a decompression and fusion on L4/L5, and although I am still having spinal problems, I believe that my surgery was successful and my pain is much reduced.

Please let us know how your surgery and then your recovery goes.

Do ask if you have any other questions. :-)

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!